SPD Workflow E-mail problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I am having a strange problem with the SendMail element of a workflow we have created which has been puzzling me for a few days now.  We have a E-mailed enabled library.  Users send a email to this library to request new software installs from the helpdesk.  A workflow has been created so that when a new item is created in the library it begins and the first step is to send an email to three recipients informing them a new software request has arrived.   As these recipients will always be the same we have hard-coded them into the "To:" field.  However, for some reason only one person on the list ever get's the e-mail.  Two of the users have internal email addresses and one user has an external email address.  Its the user with an external address who recieves the e-mail.  It does not matter which order the users are listed in the To field only the external user ever gets the email.   Also, the creator of the workflow gets the e-mail even though they are not defined on the To field.  Has anyone experienced this problem before or can anyone point me in the direction of any logs I can examine to see what is happening and why this might be happening?

Our SharePoint 2010 farm is at build 14.0.5138.5001

Thanks in advance.

Brian.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:16 AM

Answers

• Brian, here are some direct, obvious troubleshooting steps based on what I have read here and based off the information you have NOT provided (yet).

• If the email goes to the external user, then you know the workflow works.  This is very important, because System Account cannot start workflows UNLESS you do the stsadm command that allows it to start workflows on items received via incoming email.  Most people have no idea how to do this, so you must have done a good amount of work on this farm to get all of that working.  That is actually the hard part, but you did it.
    • Since you KNOW the workflow works and is not erroring, then you need to focus on the exact things that are not happening, which is that SPD is not able to identify or resolve the internal users' emails.
    • To find out why, you should perform a few tests:
    • 1) DO those two internal users receive email from ANY workflow in SharePoint on any list/library on any site in the farm?  Have you confirmed this yet?  Confirm this by creating a new workflow on the same lib that sends email to them.  Then, do the same on a separate list/lib.  Then, do the same on a separate site, site collection, and web application.  YOu need to isolate issue by first verifying these users can EVER receive workflow emails.
    • 2) If they DO receive emails, in which of the scenarios did it work?  All except this one or only a few?
    • 3) If you go into Central Admin > Manage Service Applications > People Service App (go into the config area) > Manage Profiles > Search for one of these users > check the profile > do you see this email address associated with this user?  Do you even see profiles for those users?

Btw, if you aren't telling the email to go to the originator, then there is NO reason that should be happening.  That sounds more like a lack of understanding of what's been built.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:07 AM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:26 AM
  • Hi Clayton,

Thanks for your response.  I will try some of the troublshooting steps to try and isolate where abouts the problem actually lies, however I have also found something else out during testing.  If I add myself to the To list (I am a site collection admin and member of the owners group) it works, the e-mail is delivered to myself and the three recipients on the list.  As soon as I take myself of the To field it does not work.  The two other internal users on the list are only contributors to the site.  This makes me thing there is some underlying permissions issue. so I check the list permissions and the two internal users have at least read permissions via membership of a SharePoint created group. 

I can confirm that all the users have an associated e-mail address in the UPS, SharePoint alerts does work for other area's of the site for these two users (such as adding a new Calendar entry).  I will work on the other tests and report back

Thanks

Brian.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:01 AM

All replies

• Best is to log to history list in your workflow before and after mail is sent. Also, seems something odd in your e-mail settings in CA. May be no relay to internal mails.
    AK
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

The e-mail settings are correct in CA as other workflow's and e-mails within SharePoint work fine.  I have also confirmed the settings on the Recieve connector in Exchange to ensure that it is configured correctly.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Try the other 2 as cc instead of in the To: field. To troubleshoot, set the To: field to one of the internal addresses only (no cc) and trace the error in the workflow log.
    AK
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Sadly the workflow log doesnt show any errors, and it doesn't matter who you put in the To/CC it never emails them - only the person who has created the workflow.  It also appears this is the same for all workflows on for this particular web application.  User's who we try to e-mail have a corresponding e-mail address in their profile because I have configured the UPS service application to sync with our AD.

What is also strange is that our other web application seems to work as expected in relation to workflow e-mails, its only this single web app we are having problems with.  This particular web site was ported over from MOSS2007.....

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Did you try to add the email address explicitly (instead of user login). The mapping from AD may not be a qualified e-mail format.
    AK
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, we've tried adding the explcit e-mail address and that still does not work.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:01 PM
  • just to make sure we are in the same page ... how did you created the workflow? 3dr party tools?
    lovo
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:33 PM
  • The workflow(s) was created in SharePoint Designer 2010.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:32 PM
  • Brian, here are some direct, obvious troubleshooting steps based on what I have read here and based off the information you have NOT provided (yet).

• If the email goes to the external user, then you know the workflow works.  This is very important, because System Account cannot start workflows UNLESS you do the stsadm command that allows it to start workflows on items received via incoming email.  Most people have no idea how to do this, so you must have done a good amount of work on this farm to get all of that working.  That is actually the hard part, but you did it.
    • Since you KNOW the workflow works and is not erroring, then you need to focus on the exact things that are not happening, which is that SPD is not able to identify or resolve the internal users' emails.
    • To find out why, you should perform a few tests:
    • 1) DO those two internal users receive email from ANY workflow in SharePoint on any list/library on any site in the farm?  Have you confirmed this yet?  Confirm this by creating a new workflow on the same lib that sends email to them.  Then, do the same on a separate list/lib.  Then, do the same on a separate site, site collection, and web application.  YOu need to isolate issue by first verifying these users can EVER receive workflow emails.
    • 2) If they DO receive emails, in which of the scenarios did it work?  All except this one or only a few?
    • 3) If you go into Central Admin > Manage Service Applications > People Service App (go into the config area) > Manage Profiles > Search for one of these users > check the profile > do you see this email address associated with this user?  Do you even see profiles for those users?

Btw, if you aren't telling the email to go to the originator, then there is NO reason that should be happening.  That sounds more like a lack of understanding of what's been built.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:26 AM
  • Hi Clayton,

Thanks for your response.  I will try some of the troublshooting steps to try and isolate where abouts the problem actually lies, however I have also found something else out during testing.  If I add myself to the To list (I am a site collection admin and member of the owners group) it works, the e-mail is delivered to myself and the three recipients on the list.  As soon as I take myself of the To field it does not work.  The two other internal users on the list are only contributors to the site.  This makes me thing there is some underlying permissions issue. so I check the list permissions and the two internal users have at least read permissions via membership of a SharePoint created group. 

I can confirm that all the users have an associated e-mail address in the UPS, SharePoint alerts does work for other area's of the site for these two users (such as adding a new Calendar entry).  I will work on the other tests and report back

Thanks

Brian.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by SmilieJoe Thursday, October 3, 2013 9:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by SmilieJoe Thursday, October 3, 2013 9:58 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:58 AM
  • This is not necessarily an answer but this is what I am finding to be the problem

I have a large list and there are two fields used for broadcasting emails, one field is a y/n  and the other is a collection of multiple email users  for example.

Field -> Email Addresses       and contains -->            Dave; Jeff; Larry;

I just noticed that the WF will send an e-mail if I use a system default field such as " Created by" but won't send an e-mail to a user defined field such as "Prepared By or  Email Addresses"

I could use some advise also.

Thanks

Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:05 PM