WF 4.0 CTP (VS2010) RRS feed

• Question

• I've downloaded the VS2010 and .NET 4.0 CTP (VPC image) hoping to see some of the new WF 4.0 bits.  However, while I can see that there are new 4.0 workflow assemblies available in the references list, and VS2010 allows you to target Framework 4.0 for new projects, I don't see any of the new WF bits.  In other words, the designer is the same one that we know (and love) from 3.0/3.5, the same workflow project and item templates are there, the same set of activities are in the toolbox, etc.  So I'm either doing something very, very wrong, or this CTP doesn't yet support WF 4.0. 

Can someone at Microsoft please clarify the situation with WF 4.0 and this CTP?  If WF 4.0 isn't supported in this CTP, when can we expect one that does support it?

Thanks.

Bruce

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:10 PM

Answers

• The VS2010 CTP only has early bits of WF 4.0

We doesn't suggest you to use this version of workflow.

Thanks

Hong

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:15 AM
  • This version of CTP doesn't contain any workflow designer/template staff. So I think you cannot find V2010 node in CTP image. I guess what Roman said is another PDC image, which is not available to public.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:22 AM

All replies

•  

Thank you Bruce, you advanced me on this problem: I'm using WF since 2 years and I submitted ten bugs on connect about WF designer speed, redrawing and so on and i'm waiting for a new release.

I'm adding myself to the list of 'listeners' of the new WF designer 'event': I just posted some messages on this thread

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2285994&SiteID=1&pageid=0

for Mr. Lorenz Prem (the Wf product manager) to have some more info on release.

What about to start a petition.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

- click on the Workflow template project types and select v2010 templates.

You should see the following templates:

Activity Designer Library, Activity Library, Flowchart Workflow Console Application and Sequential Workflow Console Application.

Thanks

Roman

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:12 AM
  • The VS2010 CTP only has early bits of WF 4.0

We doesn't suggest you to use this version of workflow.

Thanks

Hong

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:15 AM
  • Thanks for the instructions Roman, but that's still not working for me. 

I'm doing File->New->Project and then opening up the Visual C# projects (I've also looked at all other categories).  After selecting Workflow, I only see the original 3.0/3.5 project types.  I don't see anything labeled v2010.

Are there different versions of this CTP floating around? 

Any other ideas?

Bruce
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:25 AM
  • This version of CTP doesn't contain any workflow designer/template staff. So I think you cannot find V2010 node in CTP image. I guess what Roman said is another PDC image, which is not available to public.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:22 AM
  • Please let me reply that the first question from Bruce was:

> - I don't see any of the new WF bits.  In other words,

> a) the designer is the same one that we know (and love) from 3.0/3.5,

> b) the same workflow project and item templates are there,

> c) the same set of activities are in the toolbox, etc. 

> So I'm either doing something very, very wrong, or this CTP doesn't yet support WF 4.0. 

MS personels answer about only template but i think the very big problem is the a) point:

the 'lovely' designer.

Sorry to ask again but i spent two years in frustrating, stressing and not productive developing programming.

Also, i think we have almost six month delay on time to market.

Ms WF was choosen in 2005 for our business sure to have a package library and support quality.

But ...

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:44 AM
  • Thank you for clarifying Hong.  Do you have any ETA on availability of a public CTP that actually does contain the WF 4.0 bits?

Thanks.

Bruce
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Bruce its true there are two version of VPC around, once that you have downloaded does not have the features ot wcf4.0 or wf4.0. Infact the one people got it at the PDC2008 is the correct one.

Try and get hands on to that copy.

regards,

prabhjot bakshi

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:30 PM
  • All of the links that I can find all seem to point to the same CTP version that I have.  Is there any way to get the PDC version?  The better question is why was the WF functionality removed from the "public" version of the CTP?

Bruce

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:29 PM
  • Here's the list of items made available at PDC. As you can see, the WCF and WF 4.0, “Oslo”, & “Dublin” PDC08 Virtual Machine is the one we want, but it's not available for download.

http://blogs.msdn.com/habibh/archive/2008/11/03/where-to-download-the-goods-for-pdc-2008.aspx

I have a feeling that the various VM images released at PDC were produced by different teams to focus on different product features, rather than "removal" of features from the VS2010 CTP image. This is the answer I got when I asked the same question about availability of the WF 4.0 VM:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4085400&SiteID=1

Add my name to the petition to release this VM though. The more we know about WF 4.0 and Dublin now, the better we can design our current Workflow efforts to be more easily migrated when it's released...

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Any news on the schedule for a new CTP release? I'm not creative enough to track down the one from PDC...
    • Proposed as answer by KMOUSS Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:37 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:02 AM
  •  We don't plan to release another 4.0 CTP, but rather Beta should be available in April
    KM
    • Proposed as answer by KMOUSS Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:38 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:38 AM
  • Should I assume you're on the MSFT team? You've only posted twice :)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:33 PM