none
Creating an image for WES 7 64 bit with EWF enabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone

I've created a WES 7 64 bit with EWF enabled, deployed it to target device and made some customization after to OS loads. It seems to work fine (EWF as well). I've configured EWF to work with RAM mode.

Now I'm trying to create an image of the OS, using Symantec Ghost (version 11.0), in order to be able to deploy it to another device (identical HW). I'm creating an image of the entire disk. Creating the ghost works fine, but when I try to deploy it to another device, ghost fails.

It worked fine for me with Windows XP embedded (32 bit) with EWF enabled (RAM mode).

What I'm doing wrong? Is there a switch to turn on when creating the ghost? Is Symantec Ghost is suitable for my purpose?

I learned that it may be possible to replicate my OS using windows 7 backup utilities, but then I’ll have to add this package to my answer file and redeploy it to the target device.

Thanks,

Tal

BTW: Are there any special partitioning requirements for using EWF with RAM mode?

Saturday, September 3, 2011 2:15 PM

All replies

• RAM not RAM-REG correct?

Did you run Sysprep to role back the image, which remove the overlay partition for duplication?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 4:24 AM
  • Hi Sean

Thanks for your help.

I didn't know I had to do that. Should I run sysprep.exe /generalize ?

Thanks,

Tal

Sunday, September 4, 2011 5:15 AM
  • sysprep /generalize - yes. You might want to dig further to add a unattended XML file to preserve certain settings for the clones. Chapter 7 in my book covers this.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Monday, September 5, 2011 9:34 PM