How to get the device name?

Question

• How do we get the users device name from a WinJS app? We need that for our online registration service.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:09 PM

Answers

• You cannot get the MAC address (MAC address is a better but not a permanent id either).  You can get the hostname of the computer by inspecting this return array:

Windows.Networking.Connectivity.NetworkInformation.GetHostNames()

I would recommend  some other scheme if you want some sort of registration.  What are you trying to accomplish with the registration?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:30 PM

All replies

• I have no idea what a device name is.  Could you tell me what it means to you?

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:25 PM
  • The name that I have to enter during the Installation of Windows 8. In old Windows 7 it was called "computer name" I think Windows 8 calls it "Device name" during the Installation.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:35 PM
  • Device names can change...wouldn't you want something more static like a MAC address?
    Friday, February 24, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Well yeah, maybe I could combine a MAC Address with the device name. The question remains: How do I read out those values from WinJS apps?

I need to display the device name somewhere so if it changes I would match the MAC address and know its still the same machine.

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:24 PM
  • You cannot get the MAC address (MAC address is a better but not a permanent id either).  You can get the hostname of the computer by inspecting this return array:

Windows.Networking.Connectivity.NetworkInformation.GetHostNames()

I would recommend  some other scheme if you want some sort of registration.  What are you trying to accomplish with the registration?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:30 PM
  • For this purpose you can get ASHWID unique identifier other than MAC address.

More details on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj553431.aspx

Thanks,

Sree

• Proposed as answer by sreejith.k Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:34 PM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:34 PM