Has anybody had major issues with MDS implementations? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sorry if this is weird here but I couldn't find any negative information on MDS out on the internet. I was in a conference call the other day where I consultant claimed that he had seen failed MDS implementations in larger organizations. I'm getting ready to stand up MDM for the first time for a client. I've installed it twice will only a few issues. What are the gotchas I need to watch out for? Any technical issues I need to be aware of?
    Monday, August 1, 2016 3:40 PM

Answers

• What is your purpose for trying to "master" customer data?  What is your intended data flow of customer data?  Are you intending to create customers in MDS first or clean the data after?

Creating an MDS entity model for customer data is extremely difficult depending on the complexity of your records.

If you are just looking standardize and remove or combine duplicates, that can be done other ways much easier.  For example using Data Quality tools.

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Friday, August 12, 2016 1:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, August 22, 2016 1:56 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think that big problem for big organization could be release process. It is too complicated. If you want to create DEV, UAT and PROD MDS environment and release some entities from DEV to UAT, then you have to create entities again on UAT by clicking or you have to write SQL script (with weak documentation).

There is deployment (cmd command or button on web page), but you have to deploy all entities.

There is no choice to select only some entities.

There no option deploy users privileges.

MS MDS tool is a really good tool. Big advantage is a possibility to use Excel with MDS plugin for "normal"  user and or possibility to export and load data automatically or define validations rules. It is strong tool.

Dan

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:07 AM
  • It depends on what exactly you are trying to do with MDS.  I am sure he was referring to "Master Data Management" (MDM).

MDM is not a "silver bullet" to fix all the company problems.  MDS is extremely manual and complex to manage items.  It is intended for mostly static items, like lookup values, not things like customers which are added daily.

There are other implementation issue with MDS, like how do you do Dev, UAT, Prod.  There is no way to simply copy items from one repository to another.

You would need to clarify what exactly you are going to try to use MDS for, before anyone can give you an opinion.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 12:14 PM
  • I don't know about it being a sliver bullet, I do know it's necessary for effective analytics. I've worked in organizations with siloed data before. That's no fun. Fortunately, I'm at a start up working on a green field project, so I can do things right from go. 

I'm using MDS to manage master customer data. I'm a little surprised that I'd have to explain that. Does MDS have other use cases? MDM and customers are so tied together that I have entire book on the topic. Why is customers being added daily a problem? 

I did notice that deployment is a little clunky. I've been an MS person most of my life but I've recently switched over to open source where EVERYTHING is extremely manual and complex. I'm not afraid of the command line anymore.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:57 PM
  • What is your purpose for trying to "master" customer data?  What is your intended data flow of customer data?  Are you intending to create customers in MDS first or clean the data after?

Creating an MDS entity model for customer data is extremely difficult depending on the complexity of your records.

If you are just looking standardize and remove or combine duplicates, that can be done other ways much easier.  For example using Data Quality tools.

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Friday, August 12, 2016 1:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, August 22, 2016 1:56 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:47 PM
  • We use MS MDS 2012 in the Alfa-Bank for different purposes:
    * official references (countries, regions, localities, currencies and other)
    * corporate references (partners ~ 130 thousand, POS ~ 220 thousand, bank products, localities by mangers and other)
    * register of contracts & pricing plans
    * managing logins and roles for SSAS
    * references - data mapping
    * the collection of data from business-users (feedback records)
    We use MDS since 2014

from Moscow with money

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 10:00 PM