The "Test Agent" wont start on a Machine in a Lab Environment. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm upgrading from TFS 2010 to 2012. In a Lab environment I have a machine running Windows 7. I have upgraded the Agent to the 2012 version and the test agent won't start. 

I have found those errors in the events viewer :

(QTAgentService.exe, PID 2944, Thread 1) AgentServiceBase.Main: Exception occurred while starting AgentService. Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Exceptions.EqtException: The service contract version 2.0.0 is incompatible with agent contract version 3.0.0.
       à Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Agent.AgentService.CheckCompatibility(Version serviceVersion)
       à Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Agent.AgentService.OnStart(String[] args)
       à Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Agent.AgentServiceWrapper.OnStart(String[] args)
       à Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Agent.AgentServiceBase.Main(String[] args)

and this one :

The test agent service on the machine 'vstfs:///LabManagement/TestMachine/145' cannot start. The service contract version 2.0.0 is incompatible with agent contract version 3.0.0.

For the upgrade I did not uninstall the previous version.

Any ideas....

Thanks

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hi!

Thanks for checking that one.  As I mentioned, it's the most common reason we see this error message coming up.  One of our developers has another question and workaround:

• Can you check the machine in the environment's registry to see if it has an stale registry keys from the Visual Studio 2010 agents install?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Virtual Machine\External

• If you do find them, you can delete all the registry keys from the test agent machine in the path mentioned above.

Let us know if that ends up working out for you.

Ed Blankenship
    Professional TFS 2012 Book [New!] |  Professional TFS 2010 Book

Ed Squared Blog

• Proposed as answer by Ed Blankenship Monday, October 1, 2012 3:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Glops Monday, October 1, 2012 3:18 PM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Glops,

How do you upgrade Test Agent from 2010 version to 2012? As far as I know that we are not allowed to install both 2010 and 2012 versions on the same machine. So you need to first uninstall Test Agent 2010 completely and then install 2012 version.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:27 AM
  • Thanks for your answer....

I just run the install for the 2012 agent hopping it would upgrade the 2010 agents.

After I have try remove all the trace off 2010 agents or VS 2010 from the machine, by uninstalling everything mentioning it. But still... My guess is that a dll from 2010 is still somewhere on the machine but I can't figure witch one or where....

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:03 AM
  • We usually see this error message if someone hasn't upgraded the Test Controller to use the Visual Studio 2012 version of the Test Controller as well.  Can you check to make sure the test controller was upgraded as well and let us know if that ends up working for you?

Ed Blankenship

Ed Squared Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:01 PM
  • That's the first thing I did even before installing TFS 2012, I have upgraded the TestControler and I manage to see it in TestManager or VS.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:10 PM
  • Hi!

Thanks for checking that one.  As I mentioned, it's the most common reason we see this error message coming up.  One of our developers has another question and workaround:

• Can you check the machine in the environment's registry to see if it has an stale registry keys from the Visual Studio 2010 agents install?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Virtual Machine\External

• If you do find them, you can delete all the registry keys from the test agent machine in the path mentioned above.

Let us know if that ends up working out for you.

Ed Blankenship

Ed Squared Blog

• Proposed as answer by Ed Blankenship Monday, October 1, 2012 3:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Glops Monday, October 1, 2012 3:18 PM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot, it works....

On all my lab machine this key remain.... as soon as I remove it, the Agent Service start....

Do you have any idear how this happen ??? a bad uninstall of the previous version ???

Any how thanks again...

Nicolas

Monday, October 1, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Great to hear - we're currently investigating what may have happened.  Thanks for confirming that everything is working!

Ed Blankenship

Ed Squared Blog

Monday, October 1, 2012 3:17 PM
  • The problem re-appears, when I reboot any one of the lab machine. The registry key content is re-populated with the bad value.

Do you have any idear ???

Nicolas

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:53 PM