Text box visibility issue RRS feed

• Question

• On my form there are three text boxes which populate correctly.  However, when I make these visible = false at design time then they do not populate at all...contain empty string.

What am I doing wrong?

ISV using VB.net and SQL Server

Monday, June 10, 2019 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi

Apparently YES it does/can effect the Binding. Some say that one work around is to set the control .Visible = False after the Binding.

Some say to not set the .Visible property to False in the Designer, but do it in the Load event (possibly the Shown event) - something to do with Handle creation issue.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

• Marked as answer by Jeff07 Monday, June 10, 2019 10:49 PM
    Monday, June 10, 2019 10:29 PM

All replies

• On my form there are three text boxes which populate correctly.  However, when I make these visible = false at design time then they do not populate at all...contain empty string.

What am I doing wrong?

Hi

You must be doing something wrong in you code (which you do not show). The TextBox will hold the string whether or not is is visible.

• Edited by leshay Monday, June 10, 2019 6:08 PM
    Monday, June 10, 2019 6:08 PM
  • Code is very long.  Here is what it does:

Selects fields from data table.

Binds them to controls on a form.

Can binding occur if the control is not visible?  Just a thought.

Monday, June 10, 2019 8:58 PM
  • Hi

Apparently YES it does/can effect the Binding. Some say that one work around is to set the control .Visible = False after the Binding.

Some say to not set the .Visible property to False in the Designer, but do it in the Load event (possibly the Shown event) - something to do with Handle creation issue.

• Marked as answer by Jeff07 Monday, June 10, 2019 10:49 PM
    Monday, June 10, 2019 10:29 PM
  • I tried the first solution and it worked.  Thank you very much.

Monday, June 10, 2019 10:48 PM