none
Why "convert to web" RRS feed

• Question

• why would i want to "convert to web" my website created on EW2?

i found that MS Live Mesh will not sync folders that are "webs"

Neil
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:02 PM

All replies

• Unless your website is in a web folder (marked with a blue globe), EW can't manage the site with metadata. It can't follow you as you make changes and update the links. The functionality of the metadata requires that the site be in a folder marked as a website.
    What do you mean, " 'twas brillig"?!?
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Because it establishes the folder as the root folder for your website.
    Does your web folder have a blue globe on it?

Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:16 PM
  • yes it does have a blue globe.

i have some sites that do not have the "globe" on the folder (containing all the files for the site) and these seem to work the same as the folders with the globe.

is it possible to revert the folder to not have the globe?

Neil
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:50 PM
  • what about some of sites that I manage that do not have the blue globe? these seem to work the same as the folders with the globe??
    Neil
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:51 PM
  • It depends on where you have the sites on your machine.

When it has a blue globe, EW knows that it is a root folder for a site, and then manage with metadata can be enabled
    which allows EW to properly mantain all of the links within the site.

Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:59 PM
  • the files are in the Documents folder under my user, the admin acct.

can i convert this folder back to a regular folder?

Neil
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 6:06 PM
  • can i convert this folder back to a regular folder?

Neil

You can but why?
    You run the risk of EW creating absolute file based links when you work on the site.
    Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 7:39 PM
  • If the sites work correctly, creates correct links, shows the site settings (including metadata) correctly, then ignore the lack of the globe icon.  Windows is perfectly capable of losing track of which icon a file or folder should have.  (I've had some amusing transformations sometimes, and the occasional web folder without the globe doesn't even merit a glance from me.  :)  )
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 9:20 PM
  • If a web folder for a disk based web loses its icon, it means that the desktop.ini file is missing from the web root.

The desktop.ini file is what designates the proper icon for the folder:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    IconFile=_vti_pvt/fpdbw.ico
    IconIndex=0
    ConfirmFileOp=0
    InfoTip=Stores your local web site

I used to edit it and use the favicon for the site as the folder icon.

Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 9:44 PM
  • i will give it a try. how do i make a folder not be a "web" folder?

As long as functionality is the same.

I just want the MS Mesh program to recognize the folder

Neil
    Monday, December 13, 2010 2:44 AM
  • Neil,

All we are talking about with that .ini file is the icon.  It has no functional implication.

Monday, December 13, 2010 4:05 AM
  • so, i just delete the file "desktop.ini" and then i should be able to sync the folder?
    Neil
    Monday, December 13, 2010 4:11 AM
  • "no functional implication", I said.

You should be able to sync the folder either way.  The icon has nothing to do with anything other than the icon.

Be aware that copying your web files from one place to another keeps a copy of the files, which is great for backup, but does not result in two copies that EW has the same information about.  EW keeps track of site information and file status in cache folders that are not in your website.  You'd need to publish back and forth, not copy, to keep those things together.  If you are working on both copies, for example, you'd have to enter the publishing information into both copies, and you'd not get the same analysis of if files were changed or not when publishing to your host.  You'd have to keep track of that yourself.

Monday, December 13, 2010 4:54 AM