none
Why the favicon.ico is not showing up in a couple of the SP sites in FireFox browser tab? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The favicon is showing up for all sites in IE browser.  However, in FF there are a couple of sites will not display them and a couple of them will dispaly in the tab.  Anyway to fix this?

p.s. I checked and all sites have the favicon.ico in the root of Desgin master file and all are published.  All their properties are all set the same as well.

Thank you.

Thank you

Monday, January 30, 2017 5:44 PM

All replies

• By any chance did you update the favicon icon recently? If that is the case the FF might be caching it. You can force the browser refresh by adding ?v=2.0 at the end of the favicon URL. e.g. http://intranet.contoso.com/stylelibrary/favicon.icon?v=2.0

You can also try hard refresh the browser i.e. CTRL + F5

Amit

Monday, January 30, 2017 5:51 PM
  • Hi, the favicon file is in the root of the Master Page Gallery and I'm not sure what's the url to it.  I did use CRRL F5 but FF still can't display the favicon. 

I did noticed that there is a "Hidden" column.  For favicon file it's blank.  Other files have either YEs or No.  But this column doesn't show up in the Edit property.   How can I give this column a value of yes?  Maybe that will fix the problem.

Thank you.

Thank you

Monday, January 30, 2017 8:25 PM
  • Hi,

Could you try to validate the favicon file URL is correct?

If you save the image to master page gallery, the URL should be like http://sp:12001/_catalogs/masterpage/FAVICON.ICO

Here is one thread about add favicon image for a site collection for your reference.

http://itgroove.net/brainlitter/2011/05/20/how-to-add-a-favicon-to-a-site-collection/

Best Regards,

Lee

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:25 AM
  • Hi, Lee,

I will validate later today following your direction. 

However, why would it only shows the favicon in IE browser and not in FF?

Thank you.

Thank you

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

This may related to your custom favicon image, for example, if I use favicon from google, it can’t display in fire fox correctly.

If I use favicon from fire fox. It could show in fire fox/ie.

Best Regards,

Lee

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, February 3, 2017 8:37 AM
  • Thank you Lee but I'm not sure I follow you.  In my FF browser, all custom icons are display. 

Thank you

Friday, February 3, 2017 4:49 PM
  • Hi,

Could you try to test with one icon as SharePoint custom favicon which could display in FF to check whether this caused by icon.

Best Regards,

Lee

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:58 AM
  • I took the favicon file from another SP site and copy it over it over tothe herf locaiion below seen in the web page's source code in FF browser.  I make sure it's published version in SP and it still wont' show in
    FF.  this same icon file is used at the other SP site and it's showing up on the tab in FF and IE.  The problem with this site is that it shows up in IE but not in FF.  Very odd.

Thank you.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/_catalogs/masterpage/favicon.ico" />

Thank you

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

I did some test but can’t reproduce the issue, if the icon in FF and I use it in SharePoint, it could show correctly.

As I’m not professional about FF favicon, may you could post your issue in FF forum so others could help.

Best Regards,

Lee

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:40 AM
  • I don't think it's a FF problem and reason is because I used the same icon in the parent site and it shows fine in FF but with the same favicon file I upload to this site's design gallery and it just doesn't show up in FF tab.  I think it's something in my SharePoint site setting for this.

Thank you.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 4:58 PM