none
Will we ever get manual control of exposure, now that we have Windows.Media API's (for UWP) RRS feed

• Question

• The UWP application platform has a rich media API which allows querying of a video device (e.g. the Kinect) and seeing if it supports things like ExposureControl.

It seems such a shame that the new Kinect drivers expose the Kinect via this API, and yet the ExposureControl is marked as being not supported for the Kinect.

From the libfreenect2 library it seems entirely possible to tell the Kinect not to do auto-exposure. The auto-exposure function causes major headaches for the app I'm working on, and I would dearly love to be able to turn it off.

Can anyone comment on the likelihood of updating the Kinect drivers to allow us to use the Windows.Media API to manually control (or turn off) auto-exposure?

Thanks,

Darren.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 7:14 PM

Answers

• It's possible, have a look at this project for an implementation (in C# and C++)

https://github.com/Microsoft/HoloLensCompanionKit/tree/master/KinectIPD

Brekel

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:57 PM

All replies

• It's possible, have a look at this project for an implementation (in C# and C++)

https://github.com/Microsoft/HoloLensCompanionKit/tree/master/KinectIPD

Brekel

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:57 PM
  • That's useful thanks - and it does work in a WPF app.

Unfortunately I don't think it will work in a UWP app - certainly my c++ skills aren't up to the task, and I suspect that a UWP app just won't have the sort of access (e.g. to low-level USB) that that implementation uses.

The question remains - we know the camera can do it, and the new Windows.Media API has a nice API for it, so it reasonable to ask for the Kinect driver to "join the dots" and allow this?

The "CameraManualControls" sample in Windows-universal-samples repository is a perfect example - the code is all there to allow manual control, but _mediaCapture.VideoDeviceController.ExposureControl.Supported returns false.

Monday, March 27, 2017 4:58 AM
  • I added this as a UserVoice suggestion, if you're reading this please go vote for it.

Sunday, April 30, 2017 8:57 PM