none
Unable to create a dataset RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to create a dataset from an sql database. and am running into problems.

Using the wizard I began with a new connection for an sql database file.  The database file is one I created and was using.  Anyway, when I test the connection, using the datasource (LocalDB)\MSSQLLocalDB, I get the following error:

If I change the datasource to .\SQLEXPRESS I get this error.

My understanding of the first message is that my database file is a version too low and that my SQL Express was too early a version (although I believe I am using the latest version).

The second error I have no idea about.  One thing though, is that MSMS shows my server name as SITECH88\SQLEXPRESS

Can anyone help with what I might be doing wrong?

gwboolean

Monday, March 11, 2019 11:03 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You need to change compatibility level as explained on the following page which shows 

• How to get the current compatibility level
    • Change the compatibility level.

The best way to do this is with SSMS (SQL-Studio Management Studio) or create a new text file in Visual Studio with an extension of .sql and run the query to change the compatibility level from there.

IMPORTANT Make a backup of the database before performing the above steps.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

• Marked as answer by gwboolean Monday, March 11, 2019 11:47 PM
    Monday, March 11, 2019 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You need to change compatibility level as explained on the following page which shows 

• How to get the current compatibility level
    • Change the compatibility level.

The best way to do this is with SSMS (SQL-Studio Management Studio) or create a new text file in Visual Studio with an extension of .sql and run the query to change the compatibility level from there.

IMPORTANT Make a backup of the database before performing the above steps.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

StackOverFlow

• Marked as answer by gwboolean Monday, March 11, 2019 11:47 PM
    Monday, March 11, 2019 11:41 PM
  • Thanks Karen, I will get right on that.  So what is the deal with this anyway?  Why is everything so incompatible?

gwboolean

Monday, March 11, 2019 11:47 PM
  • Thanks Karen, I will get right on that.  So what is the deal with this anyway?  Why is everything so incompatible?

gwboolean

Well one way to look at this is no different than attempting to use .NET Framework 3.5 with .NET Framework 4.5 new features. 

SQL-Server is more complex than many realize under the covers and this ensures something does not get clumbered.

StackOverFlow

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:07 AM