MSMQ Limitations on WinCE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've read about some of the limitations of MSMQ on WinCE Devices.
    Basically, I just need confirmation on the below;

[Scenario 1]

Is it true that MSMQ on WinCE device cannot read from remote queues?

Therefore, if i have a sender application on a server, which sends messages to its own local queue, my WinCE Devices will not be able to connect to it and read messages?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Scenario 2]

If the above is true, then my sender application on the server should send messages to the local queue of the WinCE Device instead?
    and let the WinCE Device read from its own local queue.

and after my WinCE Device process the messages from its local queue, it will send ack. message to my server remotely??

Is Scenario 2 possbile ??

Regards..
    jackerjack
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:17 AM

Answers

• 1.       Yes, that is true. You should not read from remote queues in any case as it destroys MSMQ store and forward nature (which allows connection between hosts which may be offline at the moment messages are sent or retrieved). If you don’t care about store and forward you probably don’t need MSMQ and could use any other online only ways, e.g. sockets or Web Services to read messages from remote queues. Your server must be always online or remote read would fail.

Yes, that is true. That is the store and forward nature of MSMQ – you send message and forget about it. MSMQ stores it locally and delivers as it could. You have the option to setup delivery confirmation which would notify you of delivery or delivery timeout which would notify you if message was not delivered.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by hijacker9173 Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:08 AM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:03 PM