none
Live Visual Tree with Windows Store Apps?

Question

• http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cdndevs/archive/2015/08/07/live-visual-tree-in-visual-studio.aspx shows how you can attach to the "Settings" process from VS to use the Live Visual Tree to learn how the XAML for the "Settings" view is laid-out.  Can this also be done for applications downloaded from the App Store?  Those applications seem to run under the WWAHost.exe and attaching to that does not enable the Live Visual Tree.  It would be a fantastic learning aid to see how professional XAML is implemented. 

I'm using VS 2015 Update 1 on Windows 10. 

Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi DaveIII,

I setup the Environment as yours, and repro this issue, it would have a limitation for it.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by DaveIII Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:46 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:49 AM

All replies

• Hi DaveIII,

>>Can this also be done for applications downloaded from the App Store?  Those applications seem to run under the WWAHost.exe and attaching to that does not enable the Live Visual Tree.

Not the real Store expert, could you share us a simple sample you downloaded from the app store? So we could really test it in our side.

As far as I know, this tools supports the WPF and Store/UWP apps:

http://dailydotnettips.com/2015/08/03/working-with-live-xaml-in-windows-universal-apps-and-visual-studio-2015/

In addition, like this blog shared by you:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cdndevs/archive/2015/08/07/live-visual-tree-in-visual-studio.aspx

If possible, you could also add a comment:

Maybe we could get the answer directly from the blog writer.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, February 15, 2016 2:50 AM
  • Hi Jack, Netflix is a good app to download. Please try it and let me know your results. I tried to leave a comment on the original site but none of them get displayed or answered.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 3:04 AM
  • Hi DaveIII,

I just test is using the blog's steps:

It works well.

>>Netflix is a good app to download.

Could you share me a link where I could download it? Actually it is a setup app without source code in VS IDE, am I right? We just need to install it in our windows 10, am I right?

Thanks,

Jack

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 3:16 AM
  • Hi Zack,

On a Windows 10 machine, just type "Store".  The tile looks like a shopping bag.  Click it and the Store app will load.

There is a search box in the top-right corner.  Enter "Netflix" or any other application and then install it.  Is there a way to view the XAML of these applications? 

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:26 AM
  • Hi DaveIII,

I setup the Environment as yours, and repro this issue, it would have a limitation for it.

Best Regards,

Jack

• Marked as answer by DaveIII Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:46 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:49 AM