none
Whether to use C# data types or SQL data types RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone please tell me when I should use a C# data type compared to when I use a SQL data type.

Is it determined by the source of the data , the processing of the data in the business logic or the destination of the data, or other ?

eg if my information is sourced form a data entry form / user input and then goes through various stages of processing before being stored in a sql database, should the data retrieved from the user be C# data types which may then need to be cast to sql data types in order ot store them or can I / should I use sql data types from the beginning?

Thank you

lpbcorp

Thursday, May 8, 2008 3:15 PM

Answers

•  lpbcorp wrote:

Can anyone please tell me when I should use a C# data type compared to when I use a SQL data type.

Is it determined by the source of the data , the processing of the data in the business logic or the destination of the data, or other ?

eg if my information is sourced form a data entry form / user input and then goes through various stages of processing before being stored in a sql database, should the data retrieved from the user be C# data types which may then need to be cast to sql data types in order ot store them or can I / should I use sql data types from the beginning?

Thank you

lpbcorp

There is a mapping of Slq Dtata Types into .NET Data Types and vice versa.

You read Sql Server Fields with a clear identification of Sql Data Types in the parameter string. In ExecuteReader ( ) command you get a set of rows and you have to cast them all as .NET types while reading them, for instance:

cmdm.Parameters.Add ( "@months", SqlDbType.Int, 4, "@months" ).Value = month;

SqlDataReader rdr = cmdm.ExecuteReader ( CommandBehavior.Default );

if (rdr.HasRows != false)

{

foreach (System.Data.Common.DbDataRecord row in rdr)

{

if (row[ 0 ] != System.DBNull.Value)

firstDate = (DateTime)row.GetValue ( 0 );

else

firstDate = DateTime.MinValue;

This is a piece of code from the opposite (reverse) situation: writing to Sql Server:

if (arrL0[ 6 ] == null)

cmdm.Parameters.Add ( "@divYield", SqlDbType.Float, 8, "divYield" ).Value = (System.DBNull)arrL0[ 6 ];

else

cmdm.Parameters.Add ( "@divYield", SqlDbType.Float, 8, "divYield" ).Value = (Double)arrL0[ 6 ];

Thursday, May 8, 2008 4:48 PM

All replies

•  lpbcorp wrote:

Can anyone please tell me when I should use a C# data type compared to when I use a SQL data type.

Thank you

lpbcorp

There is a mapping of Slq Dtata Types into .NET Data Types and vice versa.

You read Sql Server Fields with a clear identification of Sql Data Types in the parameter string. In ExecuteReader ( ) command you get a set of rows and you have to cast them all as .NET types while reading them, for instance:

cmdm.Parameters.Add ( "@months", SqlDbType.Int, 4, "@months" ).Value = month;

SqlDataReader rdr = cmdm.ExecuteReader ( CommandBehavior.Default );

if (rdr.HasRows != false)

{

foreach (System.Data.Common.DbDataRecord row in rdr)

{

if (row[ 0 ] != System.DBNull.Value)

firstDate = (DateTime)row.GetValue ( 0 );

else

firstDate = DateTime.MinValue;

This is a piece of code from the opposite (reverse) situation: writing to Sql Server:

if (arrL0[ 6 ] == null)

cmdm.Parameters.Add ( "@divYield", SqlDbType.Float, 8, "divYield" ).Value = (System.DBNull)arrL0[ 6 ];

else

cmdm.Parameters.Add ( "@divYield", SqlDbType.Float, 8, "divYield" ).Value = (Double)arrL0[ 6 ];

Thursday, May 8, 2008 4:48 PM
  • Thank you

lpbcorp

Saturday, May 10, 2008 3:37 AM