The underlying provider failed on Open RRS feed

• Question

• I have just upgraded from SQL 2008 to SQL 2008R2.  I have no problems accessing any of my databases using Management Studio, Visual Studio 10, I can create new data connections, show table data etc etc..

My application is using EF4.  When I start the application, after 30 secs or so, I receive "The underlying provider failed on Open". 

I have deleted and recreated my Entity Data Model, but still the same.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Many thanks.

Dave
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 4:16 PM

Answers

• It's a Firewall Issue,  turned the Windows firewall off and hey presto, straight in !!

Just need to find out which port(s) now !!

Dave
    • Marked as answer by David Collins Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:53 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:35 AM

All replies

• How you are connecting? Did you check the connection string? Was it a side by side upgrade? In that case the connection string instance name has to change? check the connection string value and use the same server name/login/pwd /database name and con nect using SSMS.
    MCITP, MCTS, MCDBA,MCP
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:04 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Hopes the below link will help you...

http://th2tran.blogspot.com/2009/06/underlying-provider-failed-on-open.html

Please check the error messages in event viewer on this, if you find any thing related to this :)

Thanks, Satish Kumar.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:08 PM
  • I can connect in many ways, Management Studio (on Server Console), VS2010 on my PC etc .  I have had to recreated the Database connections in VS2010, but with out any problems.  The upgrade was new on top of old (same Server/Instance).  I have recreated my Entity Data Model in VS2010 again without any problems.  The connection string which is generated in App.Config is the same as previously.  I have just created a new dataset to test the connection with and while it lets me use the configured Database connection, browse the tables and create the dataset, when I create a VB app to use it, the connection times out.  I can use T-SQL Editor (within VS2010) and directly query the database without problem.

I wonder if this is more an ADO.NET issue ?

Dave
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:20 AM
  • I have now upgraded to SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 on the server and SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client on the PC. 

Still the same issue :-(

Dave
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:20 AM
  • It's a Firewall Issue,  turned the Windows firewall off and hey presto, straight in !!

Just need to find out which port(s) now !!

Dave
    • Marked as answer by David Collins Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:53 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:35 AM