Some spatial questions RRS feed

• Question

• Currently I'm using a hybrid solution of SQL Server 2005 for my data and PostreSQL with PostGIS for my spatial datasets. This is cumbersome and I personally can't wait for the spatial data types and functionality of SQL Server 2008.

Obviously until the first CTP drop is available that includes the spatial support I can't test it for myself, but I would like to know what the plans are for supporting the industry standards like OGC? Will there be complete support or only a subset of functions supported?

In terms of index performance I read somewhere that in some cases bounding circles will be used instead of bounding boxes. Is there a significant advantage to this?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 11:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Craig,

The geometry type (and indexing) will be avilable in the upcoming CTP-5.  It will support all of the OGC "simple features for SQL" functionality for planar data.  The geography type is our round-earth type, and it will support a subset of the OGC functionality.

As for bounding boxes vs. circles, we don't exactly use either of them for indexing.  For the geometry type, you'll be able to extract a good ol' bounding box from the instance.  On round-earth data, it becomes less clear what exactly a bounding box should look like---I can think of a few good definiitons.

Cheers,
    -Isaac

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Craig,

The geometry type (and indexing) will be avilable in the upcoming CTP-5.  It will support all of the OGC "simple features for SQL" functionality for planar data.  The geography type is our round-earth type, and it will support a subset of the OGC functionality.

As for bounding boxes vs. circles, we don't exactly use either of them for indexing.  For the geometry type, you'll be able to extract a good ol' bounding box from the instance.  On round-earth data, it becomes less clear what exactly a bounding box should look like---I can think of a few good definiitons.

Cheers,
    -Isaac

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 8:38 PM
  • Craig, have you seen Scott Golightly's tutorial and overview of spatial data on the SQL Server "How Do I?" Video page ? He uses the geometry data type.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:20 PM