Nokia 820 without SIM - Still work over wifi? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the lest expensive way to accumulate dev phones for development and testing. At the moment I'm looking at getting a Nokia 820, but would like to know if it will function over wifi and the store without a sim card. I would like to avoid having to swap a SIM between phones and to be able to test multi user apps on phones using just wifi. Looking to save the money it would otherwise cost to have 4-6 phones on ATT etc.

So, how functional are the WP8 phones without a SIM? Enough to develop?

What I was considering is going to the MSFT store and buying phones off-contract. Open a new contract and then cancel. Seems silly, but I am not seeing many developer options. Perhaps I missed something or other smaller shops have some suggestions on owning phones for dev and testing on the cheap?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:45 PM

Answers

• Phones with only WiFi connectivity work fine for development, and they can access the app store.
    • Marked as answer by eschumac Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:42 PM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:19 AM

All replies

• Phones with only WiFi connectivity work fine for development, and they can access the app store.
    • Marked as answer by eschumac Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:42 PM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:19 AM
    Thanks for the info. That should help.
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:42 PM