none
Compiling an application with .net DLLs dependencies. How I can run application without ".NET Core runtime" installation. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I usually write scripts in powershell, however the task requires writing an agent in C#.

After publish application I have files: firefoxWatcher.dll and firefoxWatcher.exe

If I run application, it returns me error

"A fatal error occurred. The required library hostfxr.dll could not be found"

I understand that is the code I use libraries that are not on the destination computer.  If I install ".NET Core runtime", problem is gone, But I can`t install Dotnet on each computer :) it is over 500 Mb, for run 200 Kb application?

I try to find what DLL I need using process monitor. Program trying toch a lot off dll in "C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.AspNetCore.App\3.1." and other folders.

How I can run application without ".NET Core runtime" installation. Please HELP :)

here code:

using System;
    using System.Diagnostics;

namespace firefoxWatcher
    {
        class firefoxWatcher
        {
            public static void Main()
            {
                // Start the process.
                using (Process myProcess = Process.Start("C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe"))
                {
                    // Display the process statistics until
                    // the user closes the program.
                    System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(5000);
                    Process[] localByName = Process.GetProcessesByName("firefox");
                    foreach (Process theprocess in localByName)
                    {

Console.WriteLine("Process: {0} ID: {1}", theprocess.ProcessName, theprocess.Id);
                        Console.WriteLine($"Started process: {theprocess.HasExited}");

do
                        {
                            if (!theprocess.HasExited)
                            {
                                // Refresh the current process property values.
                                theprocess.Refresh();                         
                                Console.WriteLine();

// Display current process statistics.

Console.WriteLine($"running process: {theprocess.Id}");
                                Console.WriteLine("-------------------------------------");

if (theprocess.Responding)
                                {
                                    Console.WriteLine("Status = Running");
                                }
                                else
                                {
                                    Console.WriteLine("Status = Not Responding");
                                }
                            }
                        }
                        while (!theprocess.WaitForExit(5000));
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

Sunday, February 23, 2020 7:29 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, that's the cost of playing in the .NET playground.  You can't just install a couple of DLLs; the Core is too interdependent.

Your application is quite simple.  You might consider rewriting it in native C++, which does not have such a massive runtime.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Sunday, February 23, 2020 7:31 PM
  • you could Publish self-contained, but thats still 150MB.

or you target .NET Framework 4.5 instead of .NET Core, as this is included on all supported Windows versions.

Sunday, February 23, 2020 9:10 PM
  • Also it can be done with publish options

Sunday, February 23, 2020 11:57 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, that's the cost of playing in the .NET playground.  You can't just install a couple of DLLs; the Core is too interdependent.

Your application is quite simple.  You might consider rewriting it in native C++, which does not have such a massive runtime.

Sunday, February 23, 2020 7:31 PM

I don`t know C# or C++ :) I need some luck for this

But I will try to rewrite application.

Thank you.

Sunday, February 23, 2020 9:06 PM

or you target .NET Framework 4.5 instead of .NET Core, as this is included on all supported Windows versions.

Sunday, February 23, 2020 9:10 PM

Thank you.

But Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is already a part of this operating system.  

:) my application become 64 MB.

Thanks for the advice, yesterday I tried to find all the necessary DLLs. This is useful knowledge.

Sunday, February 23, 2020 9:29 PM
  • Also it can be done with publish options

Sunday, February 23, 2020 11:57 PM