none
Unable to upload files to website using Expression Web 4 and Windows 8 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Have been trying now for over 24 hours.  Error message 550.  Server syas there is no problem their end.  Tried some Guru ebsite but they were unable to remedy it.  Any help pleae?

Thanks

Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:06 PM

All replies

• 550 error is a message from the server stating that the account you have currently logged in as does not have permission to perform the action you are attempting. You may be trying to upload to the wrong directory (did you set the correct ftp directory in EW's connection settings?), using the wrong account and password information, have the wrong permissons on that account, and so on.

You need to work with your host to sort this out.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Host says that all information, passwords etc are correct.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Kathy, can we speak with you by phone regarding this problem?
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:24 PM
  • You can confirm the issue isn't in Expression Web by using Filezilla (free) to attempt to connect with the same userid and password you are using with Expression Web. Make sure you don't have a typo in the password since you can't see the password. I run into that problem on occasion especially if I'm using an onscreen keyboard. 500 level errors are server errors and have nothing to do with Expression Web unless you input your credentials into it wrong.

I've been using Windows 8 and Expression Web off and on since March and never had an issue with connections. If I did it would be a Windows error that showed up probably mentioning port 25.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:04 PM
  • "Kathy, can we speak with you by phone regarding this problem?"

No.  This is a forum, not a free consuting service.  And I am not your host, privy to anything you need to know to have the correct connection and permissions.  :)

Login and password are not the only things that need to be correct.  See my post: ftp directory also needs to be correct.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Furthermore, this is a question, not a discussion, presuming that you are looking for an answer, and not just complaining that you're having upload issues. As the OP, you are the only one who can change the thread type to question from discussion (given that the moderators appear to be on permanent vacation). Please do so. Thank you.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 8:45 PM
  •  too, can no longer upload/connect to my server after installing Windows 8 64.  It keeps complaining that the server is timing out on port 80.

From Win 7 64, I can connect just fine.

Bob M

Saturday, November 24, 2012 8:54 PM
  •  too, can no longer upload/connect to my server after installing Windows 8 64.  It keeps complaining that the server is timing out on port 80.

From Win 7 64, I can connect just fine.

Bob M

First, who are you, and why are you tagging on to someone else's thread, someone with a different issue than yours?

Second, if you can connect from one OS but not the other, the issue is not with EW. You're asking in the wrong forum, in the wrong thread. Talk to your provider, and try connecting using another application.

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:24 PM
  • God Almighty, relax dude.  Sorry for "accidently" trying to find an answer on the EW forum.  Since there is nothing on the Microsoft Windows 8 forum regarding my issue, the next step was to search the Microsoft EW forum.  "Maybe" someone else here may have experienced the same thing.

Who am I?  My name is Bob Malone, and if you have an issue with that as well, too bad.  And furthermore, someone with your attitude has no business being on any forum, let alone a Microsoft forum. 

Bob M

Sunday, November 25, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Port 80 publishing errors don't relate to the OP's issue since Port 80 errors mean FPSE publishing while the OP has FTP server permission issues. Please start your own thread but I suspect you may not get a lot of responses since FPSE have been discontinued since 2005 and few host still offer support for them.

Besides checking firewalls I would have nothing else to suggest other than switching to FTP publishing if you aren't using FPSE webbots that rely on the server extensions. If you are, I'd suggest switching before you discover that you host is no longer supporting the FPSE so everything that requires them no longer works. We've had folks coming here in a panic because their host quit supporting FPSE without telling them in the past. Their first indication was that their forms no longer worked and they could no longer publish using the FPSE. Better to switch away from them while you have the time for an orderly transition.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Well, Bob, have you ever used a forum before? Did you bother to actually read the thread before you posted to it? If you had, you would have seen that the thread concerned permissions errors when using FTP, not problems connecting with FPSE. If you had used forums before, you would know that the term for what you did is hijacking the thread that is unrelated to your issue, with all of the negative connotation that that term implies. That is not just the opinion of "someone with my attitude," but is pretty much universal on all thread-based forums and dedicated message lists/groups. Get used to it, because if you do it again, you're likely to get called on it again.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:51 PM