none
vbc.exe file not found?

Question

• I have an extensive VB.NET application I inherited and have been using and making modifications for some time now.  However, when last I checked in a number of modifications to TFS and tried to build and run the application in debug, the application would not open and would fail for a server timeout.  It then started issuing an error on builds stating the vbc.exe file could not be found.  I closed and restarted VS 2015 and even did a workstation OS restart (Windows 8.1).  However, now it continues to tell me the vbc.exe file cannot be found requesting a shutdown or debug of vbc.exe itself, which does not work for the same issue.  However, the strangest this is that when I search the solution workspace folders in Windows Explorer it locates the file in Bin and a couple of other directory with the solution directory.  The primary file is under a sub-folder called Roslyn.  I have no idea as to what is going on with this problem that just suddenly started occurring nor how to get past it.  I don't seem to be having a problem with any other .NET application, however this one is only VB project and all the rest are C#. 

Ron K.

Friday, July 22, 2016 4:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Ron K,

Could you find the vbc.exe file in your windows?

As far as I know, it was in the path: Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework.

So please check that whether it is related to the .NET Framework version in your project property or the .NET Framework setup. For example, change it to be the targeting Framework 4.0 or others, check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 25, 2016 2:07 AM