none
Table column widths: How is it auto, how is the % calculated RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

First off Merry Christmas.

Take a look at Bug_1825.docx. First off, the table properties say this table is autoFit. However, nowhere in the docx is it set to autoFit. Not in the table, not in the styles. So how/why is it autofit?

Second, the percentages set for each column seem way off? If they're ignored due to autofit, no biggie. But if they are used, the first row with no horizontally merged cells has [0] set to 20% wide and [1] to 5%. But both are the same approximate width on the page.

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Friday, December 23, 2016 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hello Dave:

Following processing rule stated in section 17.4.52 of ISO-29500 i.e. tblLayout is causing 'autofit' to be applied to the table:

'If this element is omitted, then the value of this element shall be assumed to be auto'.

In addition, when 'autofit' layout is used then 'preferred width' settings of column is grayed out in Word UI which means they are not used.

Please let me know if this answers your query.

Regards.

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 9:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave, 

thanks for the questions about autofit and column width percentages. One of the Open Specifications team will respond soon to work with you on this. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo 
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications Support

Friday, December 23, 2016 7:45 PM
  • Hello Dave:

Thank you for the wishes and wish you Merry Christmas.

I'll look into it and get back by next week.

Thanks.

Friday, December 23, 2016 7:54 PM
  • Hello Dave:

Following processing rule stated in section 17.4.52 of ISO-29500 i.e. tblLayout is causing 'autofit' to be applied to the table:

'If this element is omitted, then the value of this element shall be assumed to be auto'.

In addition, when 'autofit' layout is used then 'preferred width' settings of column is grayed out in Word UI which means they are not used.

Please let me know if this answers your query.

Regards.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 9:05 PM
  • Oh right - yes. Thank you.

ps - hope you are having a fun holiday.

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 9:11 PM