none
Office Developer tools proposed on Visual Studio Express download page ? RRS feed

• Question

• Why is Office Developer tools proposed on Visual Studio Express download page, when later it is explained you need Visuel Studio professional to use it ?

Lots of time lost.

And for what, things you could do in vba in Office 2003 are no longer possible in 2010. GREAT !!!!!

R

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi R,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time.

Since you've mentioned,

things you could do in vba in Office 2003 are no longer possible in 2010.

Could you please be more specific? You can tell us what you exactly want to achieve and we'll try to find a workaround for you.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:52 PM
  • What I did in outlook 2003

I programmatically added command buttons and menues depending of the file type which was opened. This enabled me to do a series of actions when opening a specific mail or receiving a mail meeting specific criteria.

Perhaps this is possible with the ribbon, but it seems 100 times more complicated and it does not seem accessible from within VBA.

I created a floating toolbar with open tickets (I do support too) which showed up at the corner of my screen. They each had progress bars in the form of hash character.

This way I could see my status real-time, while doing other work simultaneously and having the outlook window minimized.

BR

R

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:37 PM
  • You'd need a COM addin to do any ribbon UI creation or to handle any ribbon callbacks. VBA can't be used for those things.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:51 PM
  • And is there any way to create a comm add-in using free tools? VB express as an example? 

R

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:02 PM
  • Not that I know of, but I'm no expert on various language platforms.

Do you have an old copy of VB6 sitting around? It can still be used to create addins even for Outlook 2013. You just use the IDTExtensibilty interfaces. You can handle the ribbon that way, and it's the closest thing to VBA code.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

As per “Configuring a Computer to Develop Office Solutions” http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb398242(v=vs.100)  below is the prerequisite for us to develop VSTO Office Add-ins.

The Office developer tools are included only with the following editions of Visual Studio 2010: 

• Visual Studio 2010 Professional
    • Visual Studio 2010 Premium
    • Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate

Regards,

Shailesh G. Rajput

Monday, July 1, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Not Visual studio 2012 ?

R

Monday, July 1, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Yes. This is applicable for Visual Studio 2012 as well.

Following is the link to Visual Studio 2012 specific article:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb398242(v=vs.110)

Regards,

Shailesh G. Rajput

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:26 PM