manifest merging in Xamarin.Android RRS feed

• Question

• User45795 posted

Our 3rd party Android library's manifest declares uses-permission entries for android.permission.BLUETOOTH and android.permission.BLUETOOTH_ADMIN, but our app does not use those bluetooth capabilities. As a result, our users see these app permissions during installation from GooglePlay, which creates confusion.

I have tried using the manifest merging approach by adding these lines to our app's manifest:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.BLUETOOTH" tools:node="remove" />

However, it does not change what appears in the permissions list during app installation from Google Play.

Then I discovered @xakpc 's post saying that Xamarin does not support manifest merging. I see bug 24809, but it is marked as resolved.

If this issue is still outstanding, then I suspect that I would need to implement something like what @AlexanderMelchers did in this post.

Do I have this right? Please tell me it's much simpler than this! :/

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 4:52 PM

All replies

• User365328 posted

Any update @PhilipHadley ?

Monday, February 12, 2018 2:37 PM
  • User45795 posted

@stepheaw

Update from Microsoft on 10/23:

I’ve spoken with one of the Xamarin.Android developers, and we did confirm the same behavior you are seeing. MSBuild does not appear to accept modified manifest elements, and reverts the change. The workaround you found in the forum post does seem to be the best way to correct this, although it is not desired.

Due to the complexity of the workaround and the low priority/severity of the bug, our team opted not to fix, for now. I have requested to be notified when a fix is available, so I will provide another update when that happens.

Monday, February 12, 2018 3:05 PM
  • User12817 posted

@PhilipHadley

I believe the closer item would be this feature:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=52857

I highly recommend reporting a new feature request in our github repo and backlink to this bug:

https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-android/issues

Monday, February 12, 2018 3:36 PM
  • User339762 posted

Any update ?

Thursday, January 10, 2019 9:26 AM
  • User45795 posted

@oguzhanorhaan I have not been notified of any fix for this.

I see that this feature request was submitted: https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-android/issues/1335

Thursday, January 10, 2019 11:56 AM
  • User351879 posted

Ended up with the solution below to remove 3rd party permissions.

In the .csproj file, add the following: ``` $(AfterGenerateAndroidManifest);
    Remove3rdPartyPremisesFromAndroidManifestXML;
    XslInputPath="build-tasks\android-manifest-tools-remove-permissions.xsl" OutputPaths="build-tasks\AndroidManifest.xml" />

And here's the `android-manifest-tools-remove-permissions.xsl` which is used in the `XslTransformation` task

<xsl:if test="count($removed-permissions[@android:name = $name]) = 0">
        <xsl:copy-of select="." />
    </xsl:if>

```

This will work in the same way android manifest merge works, for example: <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS" tools:node="remove"/>

Saturday, November 9, 2019 6:40 PM
  • User304518 posted

@AyhamFakihani When i add the tools:node="remove" i can build as i get a error XAGAP7000: System.Xml.XmlException: 'tools' is an undeclared prefix. Any help? Your workaround sounds great, as it automates having to manually delete the permission. In my case i need it to remove a duplicate permission that cancels mine out.

Edit: Nvm, i saw the tools url, but i still cant get it to work with that as i have a service tag i need removed, not a uses-permission. Will try to edit to see if it works.

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:31 PM
  • User304518 posted

I ended up doing a similar solution to @mayhammf is that im using a python script set in the Android csproj options under 'Custom Command', i add a new command set "After Build". i set the command as so python remove.py ${ProjectConfig}

The script is as follows:

import os import sys

path = "./obj/" + sys.argv[1] + "/android/"

print 'Manifest Path:',path

os.rename(path + "AndroidManifest.xml", path + "AndroidManifestOld.xml")

remove = "manifest tag to remove"

with open(path + 'AndroidManifestOld.xml') as oldfile, open(path + 'AndroidManifest.xml', 'w') as newfile: for line in oldfile: if (remove not in line): newfile.write(line)

os.remove(path + "AndroidManifestOld.xml")

it simply removes the line that you dont need, in my case it was an extra service tag from a 3rd party library.

I managed to get @AyhamFakihani version working, however it would remove all the tags with the same name, including the one i set and need. My route just removes the exact line.

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 9:28 PM
  • User33877 posted

@AyhamFakihani

If I add xmlns:tools="http://schemas.android.com/tools" to the manifest section of my AndroidManifest.xml, I get errors in styles.xml

Wednesday, March 31, 2021 11:52 PM