none
Download/Reporting data missing from old dev center RRS feed

• Question

• Since the new Dev Center has went live, I am missing historic data. For example my 2 apps previously had a combined download count of approximately 40 in the old Dev Center. Since the upgrade the combined total is 2. I am a tad concerned as to where the other 38 purchase/downloads have went to. Can you clarify? 

I further noticed than upon moving to the new Dev Center i had to re-fill out my tax/bank details etc. Not sure if this is related or not. 

• Moved by Danny G. - MS Friday, August 17, 2012 6:32 AM (From:Reporting Dev Center problems)
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:18 PM

Answers

• Hello everyone. Sorry, I couldn't update you all sooner as I was making sure I have the right info on this. After doing more investigation, I can confidently say that what you are seeing now in the new DevCenter's dashboard is correct. Please note that I have verified this for every developer who has shared their app names with me in this thread.

It turns out that we had a bug in AppHub - only in the dashboard highlights section where we were including pre-release download numbers as part of the total downloads per app, etc.. The download chart was showing the correct numbers though. For those of you interested, pre release downloads attributes to the team who tests submitted apps before approving them for publishing.

If you still feel that the new DevCenter is showing less downloads than what you saw in AppHub's download report, please open support ticket so that we can do a more deeper investigation. While doing so, please include the app name in question and my full name so that I will be notified.

Thanks,
    Sharat

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

• Marked as answer by ScotDevs Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:02 AM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 11:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you please share the app names that are missing downloads? Are any of these paid apps?

Regarding re-filling the tax/bank details, do you remember if you had any notification on AppHub that the tax info or bank information is either not valid/verified?

Thanks.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Hi Sharat, thanks for your reply. 

The app names are "Altitude+" and "Dead Sea Souls". 

The tax/bank details were filled out on the old AppHub more than a year ago and confirmed, hence my confusion of being asked again for them. Back then I had to print off and sign a few forms, scan my photo ID and send over to one of your external partners for verification. Hopefully this should be sorted now anyway, as I have resubmitted in the new dev centre, just mentioned this encase it was related to the above issue. 

Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:44 AM
  • Hello, I also have an app that had 10 downloads prior to the change, and now it says that there are no downloads in the last 30 days. It is a paid app and I haven't gotten paid for any of the downloads yet. Am I going to lose those downloads and money from this change? Thank you,

~Nick

~Plan8

Friday, August 10, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Sounds like the same problem as myself Nick, hopefully some clarity from someone at MS can be provided soon. 
    Friday, August 10, 2012 12:02 PM
  • I have the same problem, about 74% of downloads got missing after Dev Center update. Also it seems that after update there has been very few downloads of my apps. Or then users have totally lost interest of my apps :( Something really wrong with this update. This is not good.
    Friday, August 10, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Hi EspooTeam,

Can you please share your app names?

And I am curious how you came up with the 74% drop. Did you download the download report transaction using our export feature before the upgrade?

Thanks,
    Sharat

Friday, August 10, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Hi Nick,

Can you please share your app names?

Regarding your 10 downloads, can you recollect approximately which days they were for?

Thanks,
    Sharat

Friday, August 10, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Hello,

The app in question is 'Meter Maid'. This morning i updated it, and its pending. I don't remember the exact days, actually i don't think i was provided the actual dates of each download, it just had a running total on the app stats page. Thank you,

~Nick

~Plan8

Friday, August 10, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Sharat, 

Is there any news on this as yet, I am a tad concerned about these missing downloads. Either there was a bug in the old App Hub that displayed too many downloads of the app, or the new Dev Center is missing some of the old data. Can you clarify either way, app names are in previous comments?

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Yes, I am a little concerned as well. The apps I have submitted are not that old, but I did have downloads that I haven't gotten paid on yet. This has been a rough introduction to this... I hope I can continue to contribute here...

~Plan8

Monday, August 13, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Hello everyone. Sorry, I couldn't update you all sooner as I was making sure I have the right info on this. After doing more investigation, I can confidently say that what you are seeing now in the new DevCenter's dashboard is correct. Please note that I have verified this for every developer who has shared their app names with me in this thread.

It turns out that we had a bug in AppHub - only in the dashboard highlights section where we were including pre-release download numbers as part of the total downloads per app, etc.. The download chart was showing the correct numbers though. For those of you interested, pre release downloads attributes to the team who tests submitted apps before approving them for publishing.

If you still feel that the new DevCenter is showing less downloads than what you saw in AppHub's download report, please open support ticket so that we can do a more deeper investigation. While doing so, please include the app name in question and my full name so that I will be notified.

Thanks,
    Sharat

• Marked as answer by ScotDevs Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:02 AM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 11:17 PM
  • App - Cave Pilot

Downloads before the update - 40

After - 17

This does look very strange and we, users hope you can give us more detailed explanation.
    Did your old system have a bug, where old App Hub by it self bought an App, and it was not a user,
    or how else would our old counter go up by it self? I had  significant user usage of my p when i had 40 downloads as i have my PHP usage system implemented when users submit score to my PHP Server and let me tell you, i had around 100 unique score uploads. I found few websites, where all of our apps are already pirated and are available for download for free. Those websites have their counter which showed around 50-55 (pirated) downloads. So i strongly believe, that i had around 40 Downloads prior to the update.

Lead Programmer for ANN-Tech. Team

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:39 PM
  • My downloads from that app were increasing every few days, AFTER they were already live in the market... So were they still being downloaded after it went live? That answer doesn't make me feel too confident...

~Plan8

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Hi Nick,

What you are seeing usually happens when you submit an update to your app. Because, we run it through the tests again for which we have to download the app again.

In your case, I assume you are talking about your "Meter Maid" app? If that is the app, I see from our records that it was updated 3 times (2 actual/code and 1 metadata) since it was first published on 7/17 until 7/26 when your final update was published. If an update is not just metadata, we will download the app again for testing and that was probably what you were seeing in old AppHub. And I dont see any more test downloads after 07/26 which is expected.

Can you please confirm if the above update history is correct?

Thanks,
    Sharat

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:19 AM
  • Any updates on my App?

Did you download it more then 20 times to test after it was published and live?
    My Download counter was increasing every day after it was published.

I ask you to investigate it ASAP. This is very important and i don't think i am alone in
    having this strange feeling, that we actually had those downloads and now our sales ($$$) are gone.

I am sure, that if you would not update your Website, we would get paid for those downloads.

Lead Programmer for ANN-Tech. Team

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, your app 'Cave Pilot' is affected by the same issue. It was published on 7/20 and by that time, we downloaded it 19 times for testing purposes. Everything after 7/20 are actual downloads and I verified that it matches with what we show in the new DevCenter right now.

And regarding your comment "...that if you would not update your Website, we would get paid for those downloads..", that is not true. Because, remember this bug is only on the dashboard page where we were showing app highlights. The download report was showing the numbers correctly which is what we go by when we make the payout.

Thanks,
    Sharat

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:59 PM
  • If the downloads were test downloads in app hub, then I don't understand why the new download reports in dev centre is correct for all my free apps. The number of downloads are incorrect only for my paid apps in last 4 months.

Also, my developer friends have received payment as per the number of downloads shown in app hub four months ago (after 30% tax deduction), then how did they get paid?

I have published more than 6 apps in the past four months, Take Notes, Hear Me out, Easy Call, Buzz Scheduler, Tick Tock, Whats the Tip, all of these were paid apps whose download stats are now incorrect in Dev Centre reports. But my free app which I have published Ghacks Feed, it shows the correct number of downloads as per app hub.

Friday, September 7, 2012 9:34 AM