none
ProjectDataSet.ProjectResourceRow vs ProjectTeamDataSet.ProjectTeamRow in PSI RRS feed

• Question

• I'm programmatically creating a new project through a custom project request process (sharepoint + workflow) and adding individuals collected during that process to the team using QueueUpdateProjectTeam after adding my team rows via ProjectTeam.AddProjectTeamRow.  All of that works fantastic.

Now, I have some additional information about those names I'm storing which I'd like to add, but I don't have any place to do it.  Seems like the ProjectTeamDataTable is a bit limited in scope in what it will hold, compare to ProjectResourceDataTable, which besides some nice fields it looks like you can use however you see fit (like RES_GROUP), appears to be extensible, at least I see a ProjectResourceCustomFieldsDataTable out there.

So what is the difference between the two?  ProjectResource is looking attractive because I can store more information about the resource as it relates to the project.  Consider I have User1.  One one project, User1 might be a 'Business Sponsor', but on another project, he might be a 'Scrub'.  I have need to send out emails periodically and isolate the emails that go to people I've put on the team based on their 'role' on this particular project.  I have that information still in my request (and write the Project GUID back to that request), and could look it up when project events fire, but I'm concerned it could become disconnected down the road.  Though, I could write another process to handle that, ensuring the original request and project remained in sync.

It got me thinking, what is the difference between the two?  Could I just use the ProjectResources over ProjectTeam?  What functionality would I lose?  Where do Project Resources show up with respect to the PWA?  The Project Team shows up nicely via 'Build Team', which is rolled into the project itself and those people are available to task.  Where are the Project Resources in PWA?  ProjectResourceCustomFieldsDataTable makes me think they are extensible, yet when I go to 'Server Settings - Enterprise Custom Field Definitions', I don't see 'Project Resource' as an 'entity' to extend.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:11 PM

Answers

• I'm programmatically creating a new project through a custom project request process (sharepoint + workflow) and adding individuals collected during that process to the team using QueueUpdateProjectTeam after adding my team rows via ProjectTeam.AddProjectTeamRow.  All of that works fantastic.

Now, I have some additional information about those names I'm storing which I'd like to add, but I don't have any place to do it.  Seems like the ProjectTeamDataTable is a bit limited in scope in what it will hold, compare to ProjectResourceDataTable, which besides some nice fields it looks like you can use however you see fit (like RES_GROUP), appears to be extensible, at least I see a ProjectResourceCustomFieldsDataTable out there.

So what is the difference between the two?  ProjectResource is looking attractive because I can store more information about the resource as it relates to the project.  Consider I have User1.  One one project, User1 might be a 'Business Sponsor', but on another project, he might be a 'Scrub'.  I have need to send out emails periodically and isolate the emails that go to people I've put on the team based on their 'role' on this particular project.  I have that information still in my request (and write the Project GUID back to that request), and could look it up when project events fire, but I'm concerned it could become disconnected down the road.  Though, I could write another process to handle that, ensuring the original request and project remained in sync.

It got me thinking, what is the difference between the two?  Could I just use the ProjectResources over ProjectTeam?  What functionality would I lose?  Where do Project Resources show up with respect to the PWA?  The Project Team shows up nicely via 'Build Team', which is rolled into the project itself and those people are available to task.  Where are the Project Resources in PWA?  ProjectResourceCustomFieldsDataTable makes me think they are extensible, yet when I go to 'Server Settings - Enterprise Custom Field Definitions', I don't see 'Project Resource' as an 'entity' to extend.

Resources are a basic element in project. They show up in PWA in the resource center. As you have discovered they also have a number of built-in properties and can extend them with custom fields. To "extend" them, go to server settings, enterprise custom field definitions and create a new custom field, choose "resource" as the entity. Individual resources also show up in build team.
    Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:06 PM