none
WCF-Custom Biztalk 2013 -> Access to SQL Server 2014 Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i don't see nowhere of capability from the Biztalk adapter to access differente version of Sql server.

I want to send ou receive information with a WCF-Custom from SQL Server 2014, i'm in Biztalk 2013 (not R2 ) it's possible ?

Do you have a link or a list of version autorized to accessed by the wcf-custom Sql binging ?

Thanks a lot

Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:27 AM

All replies

• Forward versions of SQL Server have never been listed as 'supported' by the SQL Adapters, but it will work just fine and this is one of the few scenarios where I would say it's perfectly fine even if not explicitly 'supported'.
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, March 3, 2015 10:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Joao501 Friday, March 6, 2015 3:47 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:07 PM
  • Is there a better way we can answer the question?

Saturday, March 7, 2015 7:56 PM
  • You "supposed" that it's work, i juste want a documentation from microsoft that explain that Biztalk 2013 would access with WCF-Custom to SQL 2014.

If we have to do a test and maybe it's work for this what's the point without official documentation for my client ?

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 10:56 AM
  • Like I said, forward versions of SQL Server have never been listed as supported by the SQL Adapters.

In other words, that scenario has never been documented and likely never will.  I just looked through the docs on the WCF SQL Adapter and there doesn't seem to be a list of 'supported' SQL Server versions at all.

However, it does just work.

Sorry for giving the same answer, but that is the answer.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 12:26 PM
  • This is the same principle as building a normal .NET Application accessing SQL Server either through the SQLClient namespace or using entity framework etc. 

If your .NET version was 4.5 and you accessed SQL Server 2012, changes are that the same code would work if your ported your database to SQL Server 2014!

Morten la Cour

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:12 PM
  • There can't be any document which talks about communication of BizTalk 2013 with SQL 2014 because SQL 2014 was not yet released and thus the product is not tested, so you won't find any document explicitly saying that.

But as John said from our experience we know that it works perfectly fine with SQL 2014.

Thanks,
    Prashant
    ----------------------------------------
    Please mark this post accordingly if it answers your query or is helpful.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 5:06 PM
  • Hi, I can suppose that the main problem for Joao is not if it works in general or not.

The real problem is that he is not sure if this configuration is officially supported by Microsoft.

If you are developing an integration project for a client you need to have this guarantee. If not, you can have an unsupported scenario, and if something fails you could have a big problem with your client.

If I were you, I would talk with the client account manager about this.

Regards.

• Edited by ohawari Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:44 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:36 PM
  • It is supported.  There is no support statement for any version of SQL Server.

For perspective, there is no support statement for any FTP Server, but it's used all the time.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 10:42 PM