none
How do I use MFC in VC++? RRS feed

• Question

• How can I create an MFC based application, without any wizard junk? How can I simpely call any functions that I want, from the Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC)? The VC++ 2008 is just too complex for me to get started. I want to have complete controll of any header files to be used in my application; The wizards make it confusing. I want to know how I can just Make simple, direct MFC based programs.

Also, how do I directly use header files, like 'afxwin.h'.

thank you
    Please let me know if I need to specify something in my questions.
    • Moved by Nancy Shao Friday, April 3, 2009 10:58 AM wrong forum
    • Moved by Nancy Shao Friday, April 3, 2009 11:27 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:20 AM

Answers

• How can I create an MFC based application, without any wizard junk? How can I simpely call any functions that I want, from the Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC)? The VC++ 2008 is just too complex for me to get started. I want to have complete controll of any header files to be used in my application; The wizards make it confusing. I want to know how I can just Make simple, direct MFC based programs.

And now for an answer to your question:  Get a copy of "Programming Windows with MFC" by Jeff Prosise.  Any edition, new or used, will be just fine.  It provides an excellent education on the basics of MFC.  This book starts out showing you how to build MFC programs without using the wizards.  If I recall, the first working program example is around 20 lines of code.

In the second half the book introduces the wizards, although the book is dated and the wizards have changed since it was written.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:03 PM

All replies

• Wrong forum. The topic of this forum, Visual C++ Express, does not support MFC. Read the sticky posts for the right place to post.
    MSMVP VC++
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:09 AM
  • Where, do you suggest, should I go?
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Search “MFC” in this forum for existing directions.
    MSMVP VC++
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:40 AM
  • Hi  Rainsin,

I'm moving your thread to " Visual C++ Language" forum, for Visual C++ Express does not support MFC.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Nancy
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 10:28 AM
  • Hi Rainsin,

I would like to suggest you to get started with following link:

·          Getting Started with Visual C++

And If you have installed SP1 with Visual Studio 2008, you could download SP1 sample library which including MFC Feature Pack Sample in link below:

·          Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Sample Library

The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Sample Library provides code examples for applications, I think it is a good way for you to study.

Hope this helps,

Nancy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 10:57 AM
  • Hi  Rainsin,

I'm moving your thread to " Visual C++ Language" forum, for Visual C++ Express does not support MFC.
    Nancy;

Actually, the correct forum for MFC  is "Visual C++ General".

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:19 AM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for your correction. The thread have  been moved  to "Visual C++ General" Forum.

Sorry for my mistake!

Best Regards,
    Nancy
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:25 AM

And now for an answer to your question:  Get a copy of "Programming Windows with MFC" by Jeff Prosise.  Any edition, new or used, will be just fine.  It provides an excellent education on the basics of MFC.  This book starts out showing you how to build MFC programs without using the wizards.  If I recall, the first working program example is around 20 lines of code.

In the second half the book introduces the wizards, although the book is dated and the wizards have changed since it was written.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:03 PM
  • try this link, it have some nice tutorial

http://www.functionx.com/visualc/index.htm

kaymaf
    I hope this helps, if that is what you want, just mark it as answer so that we can move on
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:24 AM