none
Losing ActiveSync Connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using WinCE 6.0 R3 and TI OMAP 35/3730 BSP for our custom board.  We have been debugging through USB ActiveSync for a year now.  In the last few week, the ActiveSync connection kept getting disconnected and we could not find anything wrong with the code; the build runs OK directly on the target or from Visual Studio 2005 without debug.  However, when we run from VS2005 with debug, we lose ActiveSync connection shortly (less than 1 minute) after starting the debug run.

Would anyone suggest possible causes for the ActiveSync disconnection problem and how to fix it?  We have a JTAG connector on our board.  Can I use some JTAG tool to do the debugging instead of Visual Studio?  If so, can you suggest a good JTAG tool that I should buy?

Thanks,

Luan

Luan Le

Sunday, November 25, 2012 4:24 PM

All replies

• I had also ActiveSync problems in the past with freescale i.MX25. In my case the USB cable was the problem. I found the problem with the Beagle USB protocol analyzer (http://www.totalphase.com/products/beagle_usb480/).

For JTAG debugging I can recommend Lauterbach USB JTAG debugger (http://www.lauterbach.com/frames.html?home.html). We are working with it for several years with different CPUs (i.MX25, AM35x, PXA270, ...) and it works very well.

Best regards,

Andreas

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:25 AM
  • Are you using Hive based registry ?

How are you switching off or restarting your device ?

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

• Edited by Misbah Khan Monday, November 26, 2012 1:57 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the debug tools information.  I do not think it is the USB cable problem in our case because the ActiveSync was working and recently our entire software team encountered this problem.  Is it possible that the thread handling ActiveSync communication has a priority that is too low and never get a chance to run?

Hi Misbah,

We are using Hive based registry.  Our system has an AC-DC power supply that outputs 5V and 3.3V to the device.  On the target board, there is a chip that converts 3.3V to 1.8V.  We turn the AC-DC power supply on to start the device.  After it gets to the desktop screen and ActiveSync is connected, we run the debug build from Visual Studio.

Please let me know if you have any suggestion on how to debug this issue.

Thanks,

Luan

Luan Le

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Hi Luan,

Do you have this problem also, if you try to debug an "Hello World" application?

Best regards,

Andreas

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:18 AM
  • According to me this may be a Hive based Reg issue associated with Improper Shut Down Mechanism.

Are you booting from Flash ? Where are you saving your hive ?

Try formatting the device where you are saving the hive data (Flash or SDcard etc ).

Copy the wince binaries to the secondary storage (if required ) Then boot and test the same.

If this works as it was working earlier then my assumption may be correct and that could be rectified by creating an honorable shut down mechanism.

--- Misbah 

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

• Edited by Misbah Khan Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:04 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

I am glad you ask this question.  I went back to the 11-05-2012 build and I don't see this ActiveSync disconnection problem but I see it with the Nov-06-2012 build.  The changes between these two days involve adding a pop-up screen when pressing an existing button.  I do not find anything wrong with the changes and the Nov-06-2012 build works OK when running from Visual Studio without debugging.

To answer your question, it will work find with an "Hello World" application.  I wonder if the size of the build causes this problem, not the code.

By the way, what tools are you using now to debug your code?  Can you use the USB JTAG debugger to debug bootloader, kernel drivers, and application?

I appreciate any other suggestion that you can give me.

Luan

Luan Le

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:13 PM
  • I think the simplest way to debug a user mode application is Visual Studio with ActiveSync connection. For debugging bootloader or kernel drivers I would recommend an JTAG debugger. In our case I generate a new image with my driver changes, download it via the bootloader and tftp to our core module and start the image thereafter with the JTAG debugger. You can do this also with KITL and visual studio kernel debugger. But I think JTAG debugging is easier.

With our lauterbach JTAG debugger you can also debug application source code. But it's a bit difficulty, bacause you need to add the application to the WinCE image. And in addition to that you need to download the whole image if you change something in the application source code.

Best regards,

Andreas

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:36 PM