Error RRS feed

• Question

• User1754860325 posted

I get the following error:

'DropDownList1' has a SelectedValue which is invalid because it does not exist in the list of items. Parameter name: value

aspx.cs code

MembershipUser currentUser = Membership.GetUser();
            Guid customerId = (Guid)currentUser.ProviderUserKey;

DataTable dt = new DataTable();

Page.DataBind();

SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(@"Data Source=GMBOAT-PC\EMS_AFRICA;Integrated Security=True; User ID=xxxx; password=xxxx"); SqlCommand sqlCmd = new SqlCommand("SELECT * FROM Staff WHERE Userid = @username", conn); SqlDataAdapter sqlDa = new SqlDataAdapter(sqlCmd); sqlCmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@username", customerId); sqlDa.Fill(dt); if (dt.Rows.Count > 0) { TitleDropDownList.SelectedValue = dt.Rows[0]["Title"].ToString(); txtSurname.Text = dt.Rows[0]["Firstname"].ToString(); txtFirstname.Text = dt.Rows[0]["Surname"].ToString(); txtIDNum.Text = dt.Rows[0]["IDNum"].ToString(); DropDownList1.SelectedValue = dt.Rows[0]["ESSID"].ToString(); txtStaffNum.Text = dt.Rows[0]["ESNumber"].ToString(); }

In my aspx page I have a few dropdownlists and when ever I change one of the dropdowns it gives me the above 
    error message.
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:30 PM

Answers

• User1143442848 posted

'DropDownList1' has a SelectedValue which is invalid because it does not exist in the list of items. Parameter name: value 

Hi gmboat,

The reason of the error is that the value given to DropDownList1.SelectedValue is not in the ListItem of the DropDownList.

So please try to check the

TitleDropDownList.SelectedValue = dt.Rows[0]["Title"].ToString();

and

DropDownList1.SelectedValue = dt.Rows[0]["ESSID"].ToString();

Here is an example about how to set the SelectedValue and it works well in my local machine.

Code in .aspx

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head runat="server">
        <title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
            <div>
                <asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList1" runat="server" AutoPostBack="true" OnSelectedIndexChanged="DropDownList1_SelectedIndexChanged">
                        </asp:DropDownList>           
            </div>
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>

code in .cs

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                if (!IsPostBack)
                {
                    DropDownList ddlName =
                                (DropDownList)this.FindControl("DropDownList1");
                    ddlName.Items.Add("1234");
                    ddlName.Items.Add("Lisa");
                    ddlName.Items.Add("Zhang");
                    ddlName.SelectedValue = "1234";
                }
            }

protected void DropDownList1_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                DropDownList ddlName = (DropDownList)this.FindControl("DropDownList1");     
                ddlName.SelectedValue = "Zhang";                                 
            }

Best Regards,

Lisa Zhang

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:07 AM

All replies

• User653228039 posted

Well, based on the wording of the error, I would assume that you are setting DropDownList1.SelectedValue to an invalid value because it doesn't exist in the list of items...

Possibly this line:

Are you sure that the values you are getting from the ESSID column of that table are in the DropDownList1's list of items?  Value, not Text...

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:39 PM
  • User1754860325 posted

Yes I am sure. It gave no errors when I only had the top 2 rows of dropdowns and text boxes to display info of person who is loged in.

The rest of the page which I had done after testing the top 2 rows is for measurments of the user that I am working on now is now giving the error once I click on the save button.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:43 PM
  • User653228039 posted

Where do you populate the DropDownList with items?  I know I used to have problems with getting their value (even though it appears you are trying to set its value) in events until I realized Page_Load executes before every event handler.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:13 PM
  • User1143442848 posted

Hi gmboat,

The reason of the error is that the value given to DropDownList1.SelectedValue is not in the ListItem of the DropDownList.

So please try to check the

TitleDropDownList.SelectedValue = dt.Rows[0]["Title"].ToString();

and

Here is an example about how to set the SelectedValue and it works well in my local machine.

Code in .aspx

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head runat="server">
        <title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
            <div>
                <asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList1" runat="server" AutoPostBack="true" OnSelectedIndexChanged="DropDownList1_SelectedIndexChanged">
                        </asp:DropDownList>           
            </div>
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>

code in .cs

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                if (!IsPostBack)
                {
                    DropDownList ddlName =
                                (DropDownList)this.FindControl("DropDownList1");
                    ddlName.Items.Add("1234");
                    ddlName.Items.Add("Lisa");
                    ddlName.Items.Add("Zhang");
                    ddlName.SelectedValue = "1234";
                }
            }

protected void DropDownList1_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                DropDownList ddlName = (DropDownList)this.FindControl("DropDownList1");     
                ddlName.SelectedValue = "Zhang";                                 
            }

Best Regards,

Lisa Zhang

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:07 AM
  • User-1091252720 posted

This error occurs when you assign value to SelectedValue property which doen't exist either of value property of ListItems in DropDownList. In order to resolve this, I think that you should create static extension or any useful method to handle checking the existence. Here you can try static extension as following code:

public static void SetSelectedValue(this DropDownList dropDownList, string selectedValue)
    {
    	if (dropDownList != null)
    	{
    		var listItem = dropDownList.Items.FindByValue(selectedValue ?? String.Empty);
    		if (listItem != null)
    		{
    			/*****************************************
    			 * Should clear selection first to prevent error "Multple Selection" can occur
    			 *****************************************/
    			dropDownList.ClearSelection();
    			listItem.Selected = true;
    		}
    	}
    }

Then, use it in your code as follows:

if(dt.Rows[0]["Title"] != null)
    {
        TitleDropDownList.SetSelectedValue(dt.Rows[0]["Title"].ToString());
    }
    if(dt.Rows[0]["ESSID"] != null)