i can not open aspx in localhost when using iis, your help is need RRS feed

• Question

• User-2132614610 posted

dear all

this is my first post and you can consider as someone with little knowlage in web development , after stuggling  i figured out how to install or activate iis 7 on my vista home primeum , with asp.net 3.5 , when i type http://localhost i see the welocme screen of iis 7 , i did this steps inorder to see how a comy for my website look like after i recieved it from the developer by email. i put  a copy in a foler in the c://inetpub/wwwroot

in adminstrative tool i opend iis7, under site i  right clicked on (default web site) and i clicked (add to virtual directory )where i definded allias and the path for my website folder ( where i stored it in  D drive), then i open firefox browser and typed http://localhost/myfolder/home.aspx , nothing showed up in the brower and there was error message, i tried to choose add application instead of add to vitual directoy and defined the allian and path again, guess what i could see my website .

now i recieved the final  copy of my website from the developer and i'm so eager to see it after making the impovement , i can not open it , i repeat the same steps as above , i could not open it and i do not know what is wrong or what i missed , i need your help please

the error massage i recieved is as follow

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 36:             ASP.NET to identify an incoming user. 
    Line 37: -->
    Line 38: <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    Line 39: <!--
    Line 40: The <customErrors> section enables configuration

Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\sudan2\web.config    Line: 38

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4200; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016

Friday, January 8, 2010 4:41 PM

Answers

• User771898575 posted

Hi
    Whenever i got this error i try to trace the number of web.config files in my virtual directory.
    In your case there are multiple web.config files in your directories. Try deleting the duplicate and keep the
    single config file in the root folder. This will solve your problem

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:02 AM
  • User176332441 posted

right click the virtual directory and convert into application to run asp.net.

or try to convert the directory into an application

Saturday, January 9, 2010 4:31 PM

All replies

• User771898575 posted

Hi
    Whenever i got this error i try to trace the number of web.config files in my virtual directory.
    In your case there are multiple web.config files in your directories. Try deleting the duplicate and keep the
    single config file in the root folder. This will solve your problem

Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:02 AM
  • User176332441 posted

right click the virtual directory and convert into application to run asp.net.

or try to convert the directory into an application

Saturday, January 9, 2010 4:31 PM