none
How is data transferred from Azure VM to an attached disk?

Question

• I am trying to find information on the transport methods data is sent from a VM to an attached disk (ie. a F: drive).  I assume the temporary storage (usually D: drive) is local to the VM since it is created the same time as the VM.  Since attached storage disks can be added at a later time, the physical disks can potentially be anywhere.

On-prem servers can attach remote drives locally by using iSCSI.  Is this how it is done through Azure?  Any guidance would be much appreciated. 

Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:43 PM

Answers

• Your assumption about the temporary drive (typically listed as D: drive on a Windows machine and '/dev/sdb1' on a Linux machine) being local to the physical machine hosting your VM is correct. You can also attach additional disks, known as Data Disks, to your VM in Azure. Data disks are basically VHDs stored as page blobs in your Azure Storage Account. The Data Disks are registered as SCSI drives and are labeled with a letter that you choose.
    More information on VM disks can be found in this document : Disks and VHDs in Azure

• Marked as answer by Matro72 Friday, April 28, 2017 7:52 PM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 3:47 PM

All replies

• Your assumption about the temporary drive (typically listed as D: drive on a Windows machine and '/dev/sdb1' on a Linux machine) being local to the physical machine hosting your VM is correct. You can also attach additional disks, known as Data Disks, to your VM in Azure. Data disks are basically VHDs stored as page blobs in your Azure Storage Account. The Data Disks are registered as SCSI drives and are labeled with a letter that you choose.
    More information on VM disks can be found in this document : Disks and VHDs in Azure

• Marked as answer by Matro72 Friday, April 28, 2017 7:52 PM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 3:47 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  I am trying to look at this from a security standpoint.  We just want to make sure that data that is transfered between the VM and data disks is an industry standard.  The link you provided was very helpful.
    Friday, April 28, 2017 7:52 PM