Unable to load workflow actions from the server in SharePoint designer 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We have a fresh install of SharePoint 2010 where no modifications to any workflows have been made.

Whenever we try to create a new workflow or edit an existing one in SharePoint designer, we get the error "Unable to load workflow actions from the server".

The ULS log reads:

12/22/2010 11:16:19.98 w3wp.exe (0x1370) 0x0890 SharePoint Foundation General avfy High SOAP exception: System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.     at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)     at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)     at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.WebPartPagesWebService.GetWorkflowActionsFromFeatureElements(UInt32 currentLcid)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.WebPartPagesWebService.FetchLegalWorkflowActions() 65ad8306-98bd-4212-8089-477e15aec04c

How do we fix this?

Thanks,

Barton

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:33 PM

Answers

• To see your farm level solutions: Browse to Central administration->click system settings->click manage farm solutions

To see your site collection level solutions: Browse to your site collection->click site actions->site settings-> Solutions (under Gallery).

Put the two browser windows side-by-side and see if you have anything activated at both scopes.

Hope that helps,

-Daniel McAllister (MSFT)

Friday, December 24, 2010 7:46 PM

All replies

• Do you have appropriate permissions?  What permissions do you have?
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:01 PM
  • I am a domain admin and a farm administrator. Are other permissions required?
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:20 AM
  • Neither of those affect your rights to the actual site.  Those are back-end rights, but each site collection has its own permissions separate from the ones you listed.

One thing I missed in your original post is that you said this happens when trying to edit existing workflows.  That begs the question...how do those workflows even exist if you're getting this error?  What's the back story?  You said it was a fresh install...

Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:05 AM
  • The out-of-box workflows for Approval and Review can be linked to a document library without an error. It is when attempting to edit one of these that the error occurs. Are there site collection permissions I should be double-checking here? I am in the Site Owners group and also have Full Control separate from that.
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:11 AM
  • Oh, ok, that's much different.  Associating OOTB workflows with a list or library isn't the same as editing them, but I see what you mean now.

No, Full Control should be fine.  I have never seen this happen in any of my builds when I had the appropriate level of permissions.  I guess you could check the SPD settings at the web app level (in Central Admin) and then again at the site collection level, but when those are turned off, you normally get a very specific message telling you such, and you would have gotten it when opening the site, not when editing/creating a workflow.

This exact error has been posted numerous times on here.  I'm trying to search through the ones that were answered, but the only thing I found so far is when a guy didn't have permissions.  I recommend searching for that exact error, because there are a lot of results.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:17 AM
  • I've checked the site collection and central admin settings for SPD and also for workflow in central admin. All are enabled. Existing workflows execute without error.  

Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:03 AM
  • Hi Barton,

Can you load the actions for a different site collection? 

Have you activated any WSPs?  I've seen an error like this before and the culprit was that I had a feature with the same Id activated at both farm scope and site collection scope.

Hope that helps.

• Proposed as answer by kittycatbytes Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:25 PM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:25 PM
  • Daniel,

I am able to create new workflows on another site collection on the same farm. I am not aware of having activated any WSPs, but could you walk me through with how to check what WSPs might be activated at the farm level and cross-reference this with the site collection so that I can identify whether this is the cause?

Thanks,

Barton

Friday, December 24, 2010 1:12 AM
  • To see your farm level solutions: Browse to Central administration->click system settings->click manage farm solutions

To see your site collection level solutions: Browse to your site collection->click site actions->site settings-> Solutions (under Gallery).

Put the two browser windows side-by-side and see if you have anything activated at both scopes.

Hope that helps,

Friday, December 24, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Daniel,

Thanks a lot for this. I do see a wsp activated at both scopes. It is not a solution I deployed so I need to check with the other developers before I touch anything. I'll update here after I've resolved it.

Thanks,

Barton

Sunday, December 26, 2010 2:34 AM
  • OMG... you don't know HOW much searching I have been doing for this.  Who would have thought it was because I had a solution deployed at the farm level, and then activated in the solution gallery for my site?!?

THANK YOU... I would have probably NEVER figured this out... even though I am a very senior .Net guy - the exception just wasn't descriptive enough to figure out WHERE the duplication was coming from ;)

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Thx Daniel - it works for me :D
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Thanks Daniel, it work for me too!
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Daniel you are a freaking GENIOUS!!!!!
    Friday, January 6, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Thank you so much Daniel! You saved me so much time. Your solution worked a treat! Much appreciated.

:-))))

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:59 AM
  • this worked for us.   thanks!
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Thanks Daniel, It worked for me too, since long i was searching for this...........
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Thanks a lot Daniel....
    Friday, May 25, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Thanks Daniel !! You are a Life Saver (and a farm saver as well !!)
    Monday, June 25, 2012 7:10 PM
  • I have triple checked it this and I DON'T have any solutions activated on both. Are there any other reasons why I would still be getting this error?

SOAP exception: System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
     at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
     at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
     at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.WebPartPagesWebService.GetWorkflowActionsFromFeatureElements(UInt32 currentLcid)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.WebPartPagesWebService.FetchLegalWorkflowActions()

• Edited by C.J.Murray Monday, July 23, 2012 1:17 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Wow; that's insane.

Thanks!

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:52 PM
  • Thanks  a lot Daniel!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Hi All,

I've come across the same problem. When I remove the solution, my workflow works.

I was wondering if there workaround (or another way) to have the solution activated as well as having my workflow working?

Ritz.

Ritz

Monday, August 6, 2012 12:08 PM

Hope that helps,

Hi Daniel,

Thanks a ton for this solution. Who would have guessed this would cause such a major issue!

It only took me about 3 days of searching and finally l anded on this thread!

Many Thanks,

Manish

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Daniel's fine solution didn't unfortunately work for me.

I have a wealth of toys to play with currently, and of my sandbox farm, dev farm, QA farm, and Production Farm I only get the error in question on one of them, qa.

I have tried copying the workflow folder into all 4 wfe servers 14 hive from the one of the dev servers to no avail.

The odd bit is that I ran across a post last week that suggested adding an (.xml) extension to the wss.actions and moss.actions to see if that would allow opening in ie. After doing that and before renaming them back the issue went away till today...

stumped am I.

help! 

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:27 PM
  • <dir>a colleague found the answer that works for us on the following thread. In our case 2 app servers had a ReportServer folder and WFE's didn't. copied from app to wfe did the trick, and no iisreset required (even better!)

http://www.sharepointed.com/2011/08/16/unable-to-load-workflow-actions-from-the-server/

</dir>
    /Robin
    • Proposed as answer by Rbnhd Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:50 PM
  • DANIEL YOU ARE A GENIUS, how did you ever figure that one out?
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:27 PM
  • I realize this is a bit late on this thread, but I'll toss in an answer that seemed to work for me.

On the site that was throwing the error when I tried to open a workflow, I saw that I was at 97% of the allocated quota. I bumped up the quota size of the site in Central Admin to where it was now around 18%.

Voila! The workflows started opening correctly in SharePoint Designer.

This may not be the answer in all cases, but it certainly worked for me when all the other suggestions didn't come into play.

Friday, July 26, 2013 4:29 PM
  • Good One! It helped in my issue.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:14 PM