powerpivot External Data source RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I need to create a BI with PowerPivot on SharePoint 2010. The data source is come from externl software which they want to send by CSV file, I created a BI with powerPivot it looks fine and I am happy and my boss is happy too. My problem is the data source come from other provider and I have to create report every single day and publish it to SP2010 PowerPivot Gallery, it is bit painfull, How can I make dynamic and best performance?

Which external datasource option is good for formance for mysite and for the data source  provider(external datasource provider company)?

There are 14 option for External data source:

1. Microsoft SQL Server
    2. Microsoft SQL Azure
    3. Microsoft SQL Server Parallel Data Warehouse
    4. Microsoft Access
    5. Oracle
    6. Teradata
    7. Sybase
    8. Informix
    9. IBM DB2
    10. Microsoft Analysis Services
    11. Microsoft Reporting Services
    12. Data Feeds (WCF Data Services formerly ADO.Net Data Services)
    13. Excel workbook
    14. Text file(,;: space vertical bar )

Thank you very much for your help in advance !

erkindunya
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Erkindunya,

Firstly I want to clarify that which datasource tool you should choose depend on your requirement but not performance, actually performance does not lie in which Datesource tool you use.  

To your statement " I have to create report every single day and publish it to SP2010 PowerPivot Gallery, it is bit painfull,How can I make dynamic and best performance?"

If your report create everyday is different from previor report, it seem you have to create and deploy it to sharepoint site, if your report is same as previor report, just different in data, I think you can make use of the same report, you just need to refresh the data everyday with a schedule.

For more information about Enable and Configure PowerPivot Data Refresh, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210595.aspx

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:55 AM

All replies

• HI,

I have a PowerPivot gallery wich publishes BI reports and it gets data on daily bases and I have to create report manully because the provider dont want to share data source, they will be send me CSV file and I create PowerPivot BI report wit it. How can save the old PowerPivot reports or the old data source to SharePoint Content database? ANY GOOD IDEAS?

Thanks in Advance

erkindunya
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Hi Erkindunya,

Firstly I want to clarify that which datasource tool you should choose depend on your requirement but not performance, actually performance does not lie in which Datesource tool you use.  

To your statement " I have to create report every single day and publish it to SP2010 PowerPivot Gallery, it is bit painfull,How can I make dynamic and best performance?"

If your report create everyday is different from previor report, it seem you have to create and deploy it to sharepoint site, if your report is same as previor report, just different in data, I think you can make use of the same report, you just need to refresh the data everyday with a schedule.

For more information about Enable and Configure PowerPivot Data Refresh, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210595.aspx

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:55 AM
  • Hi Challen Fu,

Thank you very much for your response, the report layout will be same but the data is different, the requirements says that the data provider(Xyz company send us CSV file daily base: all fields are same but data is changing), how can save the data to SharePoint 2010 Content databse or any other ways of doing that.

Thanks

erkindunya
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:51 AM
  • Hi erkindunya,

Since your PowerPivot retrieve data records from this CSV file, you should first change this CSV file's name to replace your orignal CSV file, then you should set this file as network file, otherwise PowerPivot Data Refresh will have no effect to this file.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:33 AM