none
Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close

Question

• When I am trying to modify a template in Visual Studio and I go to GroupLevel1Style > FieldCaptionStyle and then click on the Borders and Fill tab, the following error appears "Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close" and then Visual Studio closes and reopens.

Can anyone help, is this a known bug in Visual Studio?  I've looked on the Microsoft site for some way to contact Microsoft but am at a loss.  If you don't know the answer to the problem, can you point me in the direction of a useful contact?

Using Visual Studio 2010, running on Windows 8.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Ewok177,

Please description the detailed steps about how do you modify a template which can help us reproduce this problem.

Please create a new project and do the same operation to make sure whether this problem is related to one specific project or all projects.

If for one specific project, please delete the suo file in solution folder which saves user settings for current solution. You also can create a new project and remove project files from origin project to the new project one by one.

If for all projects, please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Run Visual Studio as administrator.
    2. Run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Close all third part software, such as antivirus.
    4. Reset all settings through menu Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings.
    5. Repair your Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:17 AM