How do I uninstall and reinstall Visual Studio 2010 now 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• My first time: How do I uninstall and reinstall: lightswitch, VS10, and anything that dosen't allow a successful rebuild.

My second time, the same situation is now happening with Visual Studio 2012.

I want to have a recovery for this situation. I will assume the failure was something I done.

A complete recover should be required in any Released development software.

Friday, December 7, 2012 8:36 PM

All replies

• Simply running the setup program & selecting Repair should normally be enough to put things back to a freshly installed state.

If not, select Uninstall instead of Repair, reboot after the uninstall has finished, then run the setup program again to reinstall it.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Saturday, December 8, 2012 11:01 AM
  • Hi Big Sleepy Yann,

Neither scenario has worked to make a freshly installed state.

There are some major problems with LightSwitch that we are warn about. Let's say I develop a screen and it gets really messed up, and I delete it and try to start over. Aw, I just lost my code, I spend more time rewriting code, that should be saved separate from the Screen.

Monday, December 10, 2012 6:15 PM
  • The code for a screen is stored separately from the screen itself. I don't know about in LS 2012, but in LS 2011, deleting a screen doesn't delete the associated code (even though there's a message saying that it will).

CORRECTION: Apparently I was wrong. I just tried it. Deleting a screen in V1 does delete the associated code file.

The reason will be so that users don't end up with code lying around that's ostensibly not being used any more. After all, the user has deleted teh screen. In most cases it could be said that removing the associated code is the "right" thing to do.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the question asked "do you want to delete the associated code?".

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:25 AM
  • Hi Yann

I also notice this many times in LightSwitch 2011. IF I delete a screen and re-create it with the same name but different template then all the associated code still present in the screen.

Just to know, Is lightswitch having some buffer storage or LightSwitch is so smart to get back all the code from the deleted screen?

Regards  

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi
    www.lightswitchspecial.com

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.
    This will help other users to find their answer quickly.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:04 AM
  • Uninstall and Reinstall:  At last Success!

First I called in my IT support. We saw problems Uninstalling.

After he left, I used Revo Uninstall and completed the clean-up.

I used the Install DVD to prepare to install again. When it ran it asked if I wanted to repair, or uninstall I thought this was weird. I selected uninstall again and the program went through the all the steps of uninstall. Weird!!!

After this I ran the DVD again and got only the install option. This installed brought me back to a function Visual Studio. This time everything worked.....

I hope this will help others with this problem.

Friday, April 12, 2013 9:41 PM