How to Execute Specflow+Coded UI Tests without Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Currently I am Executing Coded UI Tests from SpecFlow. All Scripts are Checked into the TFS.

Now I would like out QA team to be able to run SpecFlow tests.

The QA team does not have access to Visual Studio.

Is it possible to achieve this without using Visual Studio?

I am Currently Using MsTest.

Can anybody please help me???? How to achieve this???

• Moved by Bob Ding Friday, June 23, 2017 7:14 AM Unit Testing
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Mangesh,

Thanks for your response.

>>In Machine B, Test Agent is Installed and in Machine A,Test Controller is Installed

How To Achieve Remote Test Execution??

To your case, in machine A, not only installed test controller but also with Visual Studio installed.

Here is doc about setting up test agent steps by steps:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh546459(v=vs.120).aspx

>>Mean How Execute Spec Flow Scenarios in Machine B from Machine A, without creating Lab Environment ??

Be honest, as for Spec Flow which is not officially supported by this forum, but to your question, I can say usually after configuring test agent and test controller, the we will execute test as normal in Visual Studio IDE in machine A, the remote test will run remotely in Machine B. Pleaser refer to the page I posted above to get the details of the configuration steps.

>>Without Test Controller,Can we achieve Remote Test Execution???

No. Without test controller we could not run the test in machine B by executing or controlling the in Machine A. But we could manually run the test file in Machine B if you got MStest in Machine.

Hope my reply helps.

Best regards,

Fletcher 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Friday, June 30, 2017 2:41 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Fletch Zhou Tuesday, July 4, 2017 5:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mangesh SD Monday, July 10, 2017 7:10 AM
    Friday, June 30, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Hi friend,

Thanks for your post.

>> Is it possible to achieve this without using Visual Studio?

Yes.

In my side, I tested by using MStest in my test agent machine, usually we use test agent and test controller configuration to run remote test.  But if we just run coded UI test, we need copy the test project from the controller machine(which is with VS IDE installed, and the test file is generated there) to the agent machine, then I run cmd, redirect it to the project folder, add mstest path, then run the command line:

Hope it helps,

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Monday, June 26, 2017 3:14 AM
    Monday, June 26, 2017 3:13 AM
  • Hi friend,

Thanks back.

>> Is it Possible to Execute Desktop(WPF) Application in Background ??

Yes, but to your situation, you may want to ask if you could run Coed UI test against WPF in background right? If so, the answer is no.

As for Spec Flow, I would suggest you go to its official forum to get more precise answer.

If any reply could resolve your original issue or doubts, please help to mark it as answer, we'll be very grateful.

Thanks again for your support.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Friday, July 7, 2017 2:35 AM
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 6:52 AM
  • Hi Mangesh,

Please try to use the versions of Test agent and Visual Studio according to below, it listed which can be used:

Reference:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/devops/2016/11/23/test-controller-test-agent-versions-and-their-usage-in-different-scenarios/

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mangesh SD Monday, July 10, 2017 7:04 AM
    Friday, July 7, 2017 2:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Your question is related UI Tests, your thread moved to Visual Studio Unit Testing Forum for suitable help.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Bob

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mangesh SD Friday, June 23, 2017 10:54 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mangesh SD Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:03 PM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 7:12 AM
  • Hi friend,

Thanks for your post.

>> Is it possible to achieve this without using Visual Studio?

Yes.

In my side, I tested by using MStest in my test agent machine, usually we use test agent and test controller configuration to run remote test.  But if we just run coded UI test, we need copy the test project from the controller machine(which is with VS IDE installed, and the test file is generated there) to the agent machine, then I run cmd, redirect it to the project folder, add mstest path, then run the command line:

Hope it helps,

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Monday, June 26, 2017 3:14 AM
    Monday, June 26, 2017 3:13 AM
  • Hi Fletch,

Thank You For your valuable Replay.

Assume I have Machine A and Machine B.

In Machine B, Test Agent is Installed and in Machine A,Test Controller is Installed

Mean How Execute Spec Flow Scenarios in Machine B from Machine A, without creating Lab Environment ??

Without Test Controller,Can we achieve Remote Test Execution???

Can You please tell me The step by Step Procedure???

Note: I am working with Desktop(WPF) Application

Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:02 PM
  • Hi Mangesh,

Thanks for your response.

>>In Machine B, Test Agent is Installed and in Machine A,Test Controller is Installed

To your case, in machine A, not only installed test controller but also with Visual Studio installed.

Here is doc about setting up test agent steps by steps:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh546459(v=vs.120).aspx

>>Mean How Execute Spec Flow Scenarios in Machine B from Machine A, without creating Lab Environment ??

Be honest, as for Spec Flow which is not officially supported by this forum, but to your question, I can say usually after configuring test agent and test controller, the we will execute test as normal in Visual Studio IDE in machine A, the remote test will run remotely in Machine B. Pleaser refer to the page I posted above to get the details of the configuration steps.

>>Without Test Controller,Can we achieve Remote Test Execution???

No. Without test controller we could not run the test in machine B by executing or controlling the in Machine A. But we could manually run the test file in Machine B if you got MStest in Machine.

Hope my reply helps.

Best regards,

Fletcher 

MSDN Community Support

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Friday, June 30, 2017 2:41 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Fletch Zhou Tuesday, July 4, 2017 5:17 AM
    Friday, June 30, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Hi Fletch,

Is it Possible to Execute Desktop(WPF) Application in Background ??

If Yes then How??? 

I am using Coded UI and Spec Flow.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 11:20 AM
  • Hi friend,

Thanks back.

>> Is it Possible to Execute Desktop(WPF) Application in Background ??

Yes, but to your situation, you may want to ask if you could run Coed UI test against WPF in background right? If so, the answer is no.

As for Spec Flow, I would suggest you go to its official forum to get more precise answer.

If any reply could resolve your original issue or doubts, please help to mark it as answer, we'll be very grateful.

Thanks again for your support.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 6:52 AM
  • Hi

Is it possible to use Test Controller and Test Agent 2017 with Visual studio and MTM 2015?

I written Coded UI Scripts in Visual Studio 2015. and Test Agent 2017 is Installed in Client Machine without Visual Studio.

When I am try to execute Coded UI Scripts From command Prompt where Test Agent is Installed , Its giving error 

Error Is: Unable to find assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CodedUITestFramework, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.

Is There any Solution???

Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Hi Mangesh,

Please try to use the versions of Test agent and Visual Studio according to below, it listed which can be used:

Reference:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/devops/2016/11/23/test-controller-test-agent-versions-and-their-usage-in-different-scenarios/

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mangesh SD Monday, July 10, 2017 7:04 AM
    Friday, July 7, 2017 2:35 AM