none
ODBC 32bit Vs. 64bit issue on Windows 7 64bit edition -unable to run an ODBC code RRS feed

• Question

•  Paul Clement's example described here work on my VISTA machine but not on my Win 7 64bit edition - probably due to ODBC 32bit VS. ODBC 65bit issue on Win 7.

Can someone help as to what I can do to make the example in the above link work on my Win7 64bit.

Thanks..Nam

Friday, April 5, 2013 5:57 AM

Answers

• It depends upon whether your app is running 32-bit or 64-bit. If your app is configured at x86 then it's running 32-bit, in which case you need to make sure that you used the 32-bit Data Sources applet in Control Panel to create your DSN.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:14 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure what the error message is, but you may need to change the Platform option (Build...Configuration Manager...) of your project to x86 in order to use the Jet OLEDB Provider in 64-bit Windows. This will cause the app to run 32-bit in 64-bit Windows.

Friday, April 5, 2013 12:21 PM
  • Paul,

The platform option for my project is already set to x86. The error I am getting is: ODBC--connection to '[SQL Server]myServerName' failed

The application works fine on VISTA with the same username/password. Thanks..Nam

Friday, April 5, 2013 9:29 PM
  • Is your connection string exactly the same when running under Windows 7? If so, the problem would appear to be outside of the application.

Monday, April 8, 2013 12:08 PM
  • I guess you should check the settings with your database to see if it could be connect normally.

Please mark this as answer if it helps with this issue!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Paul,

<<Is your connection string exactly the same when running under Windows 7?>>

Yes, it is. The issue seems to be that by default Win 7 uses 64bit ODBC and your example seems to work only for 32 bit ODBC. Probably someone from a Microsoft team needs to fix the issue here. Thanks..Nam

Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:04 PM
  • It depends upon whether your app is running 32-bit or 64-bit. If your app is configured at x86 then it's running 32-bit, in which case you need to make sure that you used the 32-bit Data Sources applet in Control Panel to create your DSN.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:14 PM