"Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2" and "VSS" Errors in the Application Event log during system startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have seen the following errors in the Application Event log during system startup,

Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
    Description: The Cryptographic Services service failed to initialize the VSS backup "System Writer" object.  Details: System Writer object failed to subscribe to VSS.  System Error: 0x80042302 (unresolvable).

Source: VSS
    Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine IEventSystem::Store.  hr = 0x80070776, The object exporter specified was not found.  .  Operation:    Subscribing Writer  Context:    Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}    Writer Name: System Writer    Writer Instance ID: {7198fc61-2796-48ab-8e33-dcc6dc5852db}

I have searched in the internet for these errors and couldn't get much information on the root cause.

I would like to know the root cause and solution for this issue.
    Note: These two errors were occurred only once during system restart of around 10 times.

Appreciate your help!

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:26 AM

All replies

• Is this from a custom WES7 image?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:23 PM
  • Yes, this is from a custom WES7 image.
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:19 PM
  • You will see errors in event logs that are false positives since a custom image will be missing components / packages. Due to the way the components / packages are broken down, there might be registry items that are trying to call services that are not enabled or present.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, March 3, 2017 2:28 PM