none
Looking for advice on using Azure to host a "main" streaming box with a few requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a service to act as a central stream provider for an event I will be creating, and I'm hoping Azure can do the job for me.

I have a plan in my head for how I want this to work, I just need some advice on whether or not it will be possible.

People taking part in the event would send an RTMP stream to their closest instance (EU, US, Asia) which would then forward these onto the main streaming box. The main streaming box would then need the following for this to work:

• Ability for multiple people to remote in during the event
    • Ability to have OBS Studio (obsproject.com) running 24/7 with multiple scenes (one scene for each incoming RTMP stream + a few extras)
    • Ability to run a NodeJS application
    • Be able to handle the load of up to 6 incoming RTMP streams at one time
    • and then be able to stream one of the chosen RTMP streams (scenes) out to Twitch

I think that covers everything. I can provide more information if needed. Yes, OBS Studio is needed as it needs to be as easy as possible for someone thats not me to take control of the stream and direct it as needed. It also needs to overlay the running NodeJS application over the incoming RTMP stream (this is fine as OBS Studio already supports this.)

Recommendations on whether this is possible and the best VM to go for that will be cost efficient would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:50 PM

All replies

• Azure Media Services (AMS) does have the ability to handle RTMP steams and multiple channels at one time. I would suggest reading this article for furthe descriptions and details.

While I have not used OBS Studio, it appears that you would need an Azure VM to run it on. I would suggest taking a look at our VM opitions. While I could not find system requirements for the program, I would suggest looking to the gernal series or the compute intense series. You can then scale up/down depending on what level of resources you need to save cost and ensure you have enough power.

In regards to the Node.js app. I would recommend using an Azure Web App, which allows you to deploy your app and have the platform automatically managed. Node.js on Windows Web App or Linux Web App.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns after reviewing the above information.

Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:53 AM
  • You can use Azure VM with dedicated GPU for streaming OBS. Although, if you have single stream and you can use VM from providers like Apps4rent. They do support RTMP streams and also, since shared vGPU is used (which is not possible in Azure), the price is way to low, compared to a Azure based VM with similar configuration.

Regards,
    Dinu
    Azure Developer | Apps4Rent

Monday, August 19, 2019 2:42 PM