Error while adding usercontrol (.dll) into vs 2005 toolbox RRS feed

• Question

• User2071514286 posted

I created a user control in "project a" which has a set of textbox and radio buttons.

My plan is to use the above created user conrol as a custom conrol in my "project b "

a) i buid my "project a"  and got a .dll

b) now i want to add it to my toolbox so that i can use this in various locations of my "project b"

c) So i used this way to add my dll into "project b" from "project a"

Go  to  the  .NET toolbox  >   Create  a  new  tab >   Name it >     Click "Choose Items"  >  Click Browse button and  locate  your  dll  and add it ..

I got an Errorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when doing so.

When i am trying to add i got an message which is not clear - > There are no components in c:/XX/XX/XX.dll that can be placed on the toolbox.

Could you please let me know what exactly this mean?

Thanks in advance

So i thought of to create a user control and build a dll from this project.

Now with the above created dll i am planning to use like a drag and drop from the toolbox.

Hope you got me. if not please let me know.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 8:10 PM

Answers

• User1439985827 posted

There may be two reasons; you need to make sure your control inherits from the ICompontent interface; if you are inheriting from an existing control, then that isn't the problem. The other reason may be that your class is not public.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 9:34 PM
  • User-1136466523 posted

Hi,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

How do you deploy your project? Do you add a web deployment project? You may try the following article and follow the step by step tutorial.

<o:p> </o:p>

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/User_Control_ToCustom_One.aspx

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:52 AM

All replies

• User1439985827 posted

There may be two reasons; you need to make sure your control inherits from the ICompontent interface; if you are inheriting from an existing control, then that isn't the problem. The other reason may be that your class is not public.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 9:34 PM
  • User2071514286 posted

Thanks for your reply sir. I did as per your suggestion.  Below is my usercontrol class

public partial class TestUserControl : System.Web.UI.UserControl,System.ComponentModel.IComponent

I builded my project and when i tried to add dll to the toolbar still i am getting the same error :

There are no components in c:/XX/XX/XX.dll that can be placed on the toolbox

Please let me know

Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:15 PM
  • User-1136466523 posted

Hi,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

How do you deploy your project? Do you add a web deployment project? You may try the following article and follow the step by step tutorial.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/User_Control_ToCustom_One.aspx

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:52 AM