none
Installing Windows Media Center on Windows Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I need to know how to install Windows Media Center on Windows Server 2008.

Thanks for any help.
    Saturday, March 8, 2008 11:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I am not sure if MCE can be installed on Server 2008. However, you can try posting your question the the link below -

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=570&SiteID=17

Thanks.

Pooja.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:33 PM
  • je voulait installin windows media center parce que sa ne marcher plus

Friday, March 21, 2008 10:46 AM
  • What is that?

Friday, March 21, 2008 1:34 PM
  • I'm very curious myself - I hate how slow Vista is but server 2008 runs as fast as XP from my experience so far.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:00 AM
  • Has anyone been able to offer a way to do this?

There are currently two things that are stopping me from using Windows Media Center.

--The inability to install it on my Windows Server 2008 box (I really don't want to run the stupid thing from one of my desktop PCs... give me a break.)
    --Microsoft's poor decision to not allow the Netflix Silverlight player to work with Windows Media Extenders.    (I don't like their attempt to force customers into buying XBox 360's and paying for a ridiculous XBox Live service as the only way to get Netflix to my TVs.  Why did Microsoft even advocate Media Extenders if they planned to shaft them later?)

Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Add Hyper-V Role to Windows Server 2008 and create a virtual machine and install Windows 7 as the OS.  You now have a dedicated Windows 7 machine who's sole purpose is to pump media streams... be sure to allocate your resources carefully for optimal performance.  You can share a good portion of your server's storage space by creating a datastore thats accessible from the virtual machine.

Monday, October 11, 2010 6:26 PM
  • What if you want to record TV on your WS2K8R2 machine? A VM won't be able to access the TV capture card :(

Friday, October 29, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Here I am reading this almost a year later, just after having virtualized my media center server.

The answer to the TV card issue is a network-attached TV card like the HD Homerun. Works perfectly in a Hyper-V VM.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 10:12 AM
  • What doesn't work is streaming to Xbox extenders. The video will chop after a few minutes with a virutalized hyper-V install and I have yet to find any work around. It's likely because of the 10gb reported speed of the network. It's like the buffer runs out and you're toast.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:56 PM
  • I wonder if you can force a slower speed on the VM's NIC. I have a Haup' I'm trying to do something similar with. I'd like to be able to set recordings from the XBox, but can't get the VM on Hyper-V to read the USB attached tuner.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:41 AM