none
Visual Studio Community 2015 Evaluation Period Expiration

Question

• I have recently installed Visual Studio Community 2015 within the last 30 day. I have been getting a notification saying that my evaluation period is about to end and I won't be able to continue without renewing my license. When I attempt to renew my license, I get the message saying "We could not download a license. Please check your network connection or proxy settings". I have already tried repairing the program as well as reinstalling it all together. I am not entirely sure what to do at this point. Please Help! 
    Saturday, September 17, 2016 7:15 PM

Answers

• Nothing at all seems to be working. I know for a fact that I am signed into an account that is registered with an activated benefits account. No matter what I do I can't even use the program at all and I am falling behind on assignments because of this complication. If the program is free, why is there a trial version of it? I don't know what to do anymore.

From this link Visual Studio Frequently Asked Questions - Visual Studio 2015 below info is quoted.

"Community Edition is telling me my trial has expired. Do I have to pay for Community edition?

No, Community edition is free to use. We use the same infrastructure that allows you to unlock VS w/ an online subscription to manage the requirement of signing into Community edition so some of our strings overlap cross these scenarios. Trial here means the period you can use the community edition before you must sign in to fully unlock the IDE."

From this link Signing in to Visual Studio below info is quoted.

"Why should I sign in to Visual Studio?

You gain the following benefits by signing in to Visual Studio:

• Grants access to a broad range of benefits from the Visual Studio Dev Essentials program, including free software, training, support, and more. See Visual Studio Dev Essentials for more information.

• Synchronizes your Visual Studio settings – Settings that you customize, such as key bindings, window layout and color theme, apply immediately when you sign in to Visual Studio on any device. See Synchronized Settings in Visual Studio.

• Permanently unlocks Visual Studio Express Edition – You can use any edition of Visual Studio Express for as long as you like, instead of being limited to the trial period of 30 days.

• Unlocks the Visual Studio Community Editioninstead of being limited to the trial period of 30 days.

• Extends the Visual Studio trial period – You can use Visual Studio Professional or Visual Studio Enterprise for an additional 90 days, instead of being limited to the trial period of 30 days.

• Unlocks Visual Studio if you use an account that's associated with an MSDN or VSO subscription. See How to Unlock Visual Studio.

• Automatically connects to services such as Azure and Visual Studio Team Services in the IDE without prompting again for credentials for the same account. "

"How to sign in to Visual Studio

When you start Visual studio for the first time, you're asked to sign in and provide some basic registration information. You should choose a Microsoft account or a work or school account that best represents you. If you don't have any of these accounts, you can create a Microsoft account for free. See How do I sign up for a Microsoft account? 

Next, choose the UI settings and color theme that you want to use in Visual Studio. Visual Studio remembers these settings and synchronizes them across all Visual Studio environments you have signed in to. For a list of the settings that are synchronized, see Synchronized Settings in Visual Studio. You can change the settings later if you open the Tools | Options menu in Visual Studio.

After you provide the settings, Visual Studio starts, and you're signed in and ready to get started. To verify whether you're signed in, look for your name in the upper-right corner of the Visual Studio environment."

Also see Visual Studio 2015 Community License Expired

La vida loca

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:32 AM

All replies

• I have recently installed Visual Studio Community 2015 within the last 30 day. I have been getting a notification saying that my evaluation period is about to end and I won't be able to continue without renewing my license. When I attempt to renew my license, I get the message saying "We could not download a license. Please check your network connection or proxy settings". I have already tried repairing the program as well as reinstalling it all together. I am not entirely sure what to do at this point. Please Help! 
    Saturday, September 17, 2016 7:10 PM
  • There seems to be answers to your question on

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/810fa319-16fb-4b18-ab1c-b17387333dfc/notrial-version-expired-anyway-vs-community-2015?forum=vssetup

(my account is still unverified, so I can't make that as a link)
    • Edited by Qualdan Saturday, September 17, 2016 10:43 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2016 10:42 PM
  • Hi Kwixb,

Visual Studio Community 2015 is free to use. Please sign in it with a Microsoft Account.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-CA/library/dn457348.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best  Regards,

Lake Xiao

Sunday, September 18, 2016 4:16 AM
  • Nothing at all seems to be working. I know for a fact that I am signed into an account that is registered with an activated benefits account. No matter what I do I can't even use the program at all and I am falling behind on assignments because of this complication. If the program is free, why is there a trial version of it? I don't know what to do anymore.
    Sunday, September 18, 2016 4:00 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2016 4:00 PM
  • Hi Kwixb,

>>"We could not download a license. Please check your network connection or proxy settings".

If you have signed in the Visual Studio with the valid Microsoft account. And still have the same problem.  Also according to the error message. I suppose the problem is more related to the proxy  you used.

Please take a look at the document below and try the workaround in it:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn771556.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, September 19, 2016 6:09 AM
  • I have no clue what you just linked me to. There is no dialoge box the shows up. Whenever I launch VS, I am given the option to check for updated liscense, sign out and remove of my Microsoft account. I see nothing where I can enter a block of code to change anything.
    Monday, September 19, 2016 4:32 PM
  • Hi Kwixb,

Did you sign in your Visual Studio Community 2015 successfully?

>>When I attempt to renew my license, I get the message saying "We could not download a license. Please check your network connection or proxy settings".

According to this error message. I think the problem is more related to the network proxy.

1. Find devenv.exe.config (the devenv.exe configuration file) in: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE (or %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE).

2. In the configuration file, find the <system.net> block, and add this code:

• <defaultProxy enabled="true" useDefaultCredentials="true">
          <proxy bypassonlocal="True" proxyaddress=" HYPERLINK "http://<yourproxy:port#" http://<yourproxy:port#>"/>
      </defaultProxy>

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:30 AM

From this link Visual Studio Frequently Asked Questions - Visual Studio 2015 below info is quoted.

"Community Edition is telling me my trial has expired. Do I have to pay for Community edition?

No, Community edition is free to use. We use the same infrastructure that allows you to unlock VS w/ an online subscription to manage the requirement of signing into Community edition so some of our strings overlap cross these scenarios. Trial here means the period you can use the community edition before you must sign in to fully unlock the IDE."

From this link Signing in to Visual Studio below info is quoted.

"Why should I sign in to Visual Studio?

You gain the following benefits by signing in to Visual Studio:

• Grants access to a broad range of benefits from the Visual Studio Dev Essentials program, including free software, training, support, and more. See Visual Studio Dev Essentials for more information.

• Synchronizes your Visual Studio settings – Settings that you customize, such as key bindings, window layout and color theme, apply immediately when you sign in to Visual Studio on any device. See Synchronized Settings in Visual Studio.

• Permanently unlocks Visual Studio Express Edition – You can use any edition of Visual Studio Express for as long as you like, instead of being limited to the trial period of 30 days.

• Unlocks the Visual Studio Community Editioninstead of being limited to the trial period of 30 days.

• Extends the Visual Studio trial period – You can use Visual Studio Professional or Visual Studio Enterprise for an additional 90 days, instead of being limited to the trial period of 30 days.

• Unlocks Visual Studio if you use an account that's associated with an MSDN or VSO subscription. See How to Unlock Visual Studio.

• Automatically connects to services such as Azure and Visual Studio Team Services in the IDE without prompting again for credentials for the same account. "

"How to sign in to Visual Studio

When you start Visual studio for the first time, you're asked to sign in and provide some basic registration information. You should choose a Microsoft account or a work or school account that best represents you. If you don't have any of these accounts, you can create a Microsoft account for free. See How do I sign up for a Microsoft account? 

Next, choose the UI settings and color theme that you want to use in Visual Studio. Visual Studio remembers these settings and synchronizes them across all Visual Studio environments you have signed in to. For a list of the settings that are synchronized, see Synchronized Settings in Visual Studio. You can change the settings later if you open the Tools | Options menu in Visual Studio.

After you provide the settings, Visual Studio starts, and you're signed in and ready to get started. To verify whether you're signed in, look for your name in the upper-right corner of the Visual Studio environment."

Also see Visual Studio 2015 Community License Expired

La vida loca

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:32 AM