Upgrading your Samsung PC to Windows 8 Consumer Preview RRS feed

Answers

• I hope everyone running the Samsung PC with the Windows 8 Developer Preview is excited to hear we have launched the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.  Moving the Samsung PC you received at the //build Windows conference last September to the Consumer Preview release is pretty easy.

You need to get your Samsung PC ready.  Backup your files, run the Disk Cleanup Utility to free up disk space, and make sure that Windows Update has installed any required updates.  Full upgrade from the Developer Preview to the Consumer Preview is not allowed, but you will be given the option to keep your user accounts and your data files.  You will need to re-install any programs.

When you are ready, we recommend using the online setup process.  Details of this process can be found here and will guide you through the launch of setup, give a review of any compatibility issues, and will offer you the choice to do a clean install or to preserve you user accounts and data files.  You can expect to receive several device compatibility warnings.  These warnings can be disregarded and you can allow setup to proceed.

If you are having problems with limited disk space, you can try the following:

• Run the Disk Cleanup Tool and choose to “Clean up system files” as well.  Be aggressive as we are moving to the next version.
    • Remove your personal files and data to a removable drive.
    • Remove any additional users accounts you may have created on the device.

If you would prefer to install from a bootable USB Key, you will be offered this choice during the new setup process.  You should use a 4GB USB Key that will be formatted to create bootable media.

For more information on the release of Windows 8 Consumer Preview, you can go to the main FAQ page at:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=240148

For more information on the Developer Experience, please go here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/apps

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:09 PM

All replies

• I hope everyone running the Samsung PC with the Windows 8 Developer Preview is excited to hear we have launched the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.  Moving the Samsung PC you received at the //build Windows conference last September to the Consumer Preview release is pretty easy.

You need to get your Samsung PC ready.  Backup your files, run the Disk Cleanup Utility to free up disk space, and make sure that Windows Update has installed any required updates.  Full upgrade from the Developer Preview to the Consumer Preview is not allowed, but you will be given the option to keep your user accounts and your data files.  You will need to re-install any programs.

When you are ready, we recommend using the online setup process.  Details of this process can be found here and will guide you through the launch of setup, give a review of any compatibility issues, and will offer you the choice to do a clean install or to preserve you user accounts and data files.  You can expect to receive several device compatibility warnings.  These warnings can be disregarded and you can allow setup to proceed.

If you are having problems with limited disk space, you can try the following:

• Run the Disk Cleanup Tool and choose to “Clean up system files” as well.  Be aggressive as we are moving to the next version.
    • Remove your personal files and data to a removable drive.
    • Remove any additional users accounts you may have created on the device.

If you would prefer to install from a bootable USB Key, you will be offered this choice during the new setup process.  You should use a 4GB USB Key that will be formatted to create bootable media.

For more information on the release of Windows 8 Consumer Preview, you can go to the main FAQ page at:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=240148

For more information on the Developer Experience, please go here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/apps

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Will we be able to grab drivers from somewhere? (i'm specifically thinking about the Samsung that was given away at //Build)
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Why to run Disk Cleanup utility? can you explain more on this. What happens if I do not run Disk Cleanup utility and simply run the online setup process?
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Just cleaning up non-essential files like log files or old setup files so that the setup proces runs faster.  Not a requirement, but a good nice to have to make everything run smooth.

Charles

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:46 PM
  • You will find the drivers are installed or offered via WU.  I think we are well covered.

Charles

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:47 PM
  • I installed using the web installer and clean install option, and it worked fine.  The AT&T stuff and drivers are all there.  The only issue I have run into is the machine occasionally crashing (and displaying static on the display) when I put it on the dock.   This was also an issue with the dev preview.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:55 PM
  • yes indeed - I ran the installer from within the developer preview installation, and selected clean install. it installed enough drivers to get started, including wifi, and the rest came down over WU. Really slick install process, thanks!
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Hi Charles,

I'm currently using the Samsung Series 7 Slate and after installing the Windows 8 Developer Review, my accelerometer sensor is not working (and I believe there are other users may be having a similar issues) so I was wondering if you can send me a link to download the driver for this.

Thanks,

-Vuong.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Got my consumer preview to install (first tried saving user settings and it acted really weird then tried clean install and installed ok) but it is slow ... not sure if that's due to Samsung hardware or something else?

Downloading apps now.  Like the new mail client

Travelguy

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:20 AM
  • I've checked a few threads, and I'm still not clear on one thing:

If we use the web-installer, does it update the 5GB "Push Button Reset" partition (on the Samsung build tablet), or does it create a new one (or does it ignore that partition completely?)  And as a follow-up, if it does ignore the partition completely, can we do as somebody else suggested, and copy in the Install.wim file from the CP ISO, and manually update the "reset" version that way?

Thanks very much to anyone who actually has gone thru the process and can let me know for sure!

Technology Applied

Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:30 AM

If we use the web-installer, does it update the 5GB "Push Button Reset" partition (on the Samsung build tablet), or does it create a new one (or does it ignore that partition completely?)  And as a follow-up, if it does ignore the partition completely, can we do as somebody else suggested, and copy in the Install.wim file from the CP ISO, and manually update the "reset" version that way?

Thanks very much to anyone who actually has gone thru the process and can let me know for sure!

Technology Applied

Hi Kirkaiya,

the web installer will ignore the push button reset partition and the recovery partition (100MB). It will put the restore files inside the WindowsESD folder on the C: partition. When the update process ends, you can delete the old Install.wim file inside the Push Button Reset partition and then cut the WindowsESD folder from C: and paste it inside the Push Button Reset partition.

The only inconvenient is that now the Recovery partition is useless, in fact the Recovery Folder is now stored inside the local volume (C:) and you can't just drag and drop that folder as you do with the installation files because the link to some files will be broken. [I'd like someone to help me fixing this]

• Edited by Tofan Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:41 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Anyone having issues with "Touch and Hold" (right click)?

Mine is very sporadic and almost impossible.

Additionally, when DPI is set to 125, some Silverlight buttons do not respond to touch (comboboxes and buttons).

Please let me know if someone finds a work-around or fix.

Thanks.

Michael

Michael

Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:21 PM

Technology Applied

Hi Kirkaiya,

the web installer will ignore the push button reset partition and the recovery partition (100MB). It will put the restore files inside the WindowsESD folder on the C: partition. When the update process ends, you can delete the old Install.wim file inside the Push Button Reset partition and then cut the WindowsESD folder from C: and paste it inside the Push Button Reset partition.

The only inconvenient is that now the Recovery partition is useless, in fact the Recovery Folder is now stored inside the local volume (C:) and you can't just drag and drop that folder as you do with the installation files because the link to some files will be broken. [I'd like someone to help me fixing this]

I've used the web install and cannot get to see the push button partition. How are you doing it?<o:p></o:p>

Does a non-web install also ignore the push button reset partition?<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:36 PM
  • I gave up on installing from ISO images and, instead, did a clean install from the web and what a difference!   This version is smooth and - so far - working well.  Restored all my sync settings from the web

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview

Travelguy

Travelguy

Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:59 PM
  • Travelguy,

Do you have any issues with touch-and-hold?  Does the right-click context menu come up consistently when you do this on the Samsung Series 7 slate?

Thanks.

Michael

Thursday, March 1, 2012 6:05 PM
  • No problems after web install.  No comparison on speed or operation since reinstall - vastly improved

Travelguy

Thursday, March 1, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Does consumer preview include dev tools?

Thursday, March 1, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Well I tried a clean install booting from a USB DVD and can't get the drivers for the sensors working properly. I'd like to go back and try the web install since you guys have had good results with it. How do I go about restoring Win 7 to it? I have the Microsoft Store version of the tablet and I left the recovery partitions intact.
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:25 PM
  • i just ran the web install from within the new win8  and it reinstalled over itself

Travelguy

Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:44 PM
  • Well not consistently but I've gotten it to were it works most of the time.  I just tweaked the settings in control panel until it got to a point that it was useful.  
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 9:06 PM
  • yep,  I'm having the same issue. tried running the drivers that are on Samsung's site in compatabilty mode which worked in the developer preview but all I get on the consumer preview is the driver failing to install.
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Hi All

I did a web-install and everything went well till the end where I personalise the background colour and stuffs. Feeling happy with it ... I shut down the slate and went to bed.

This morning I booted it up and I am stuck (bootloop) at the Samsung logo. The logo appeared ... a cursor blinked for a short while ... logo appeared again in a continuous cycle and wouldn't go any further .... any advise and urgent assistance appreciated.

Friday, March 2, 2012 1:34 AM
  • I did the web install last night and still have issues with the "touch and hold" to right click as well as buttons in Silverlight.

I'm getting a lot of feedback that others are having the same issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/ecaf9ffe-91cb-4306-8c70-dcb57fb2af0d

I would expect this would be consistent across Samsung Slates.  To test, be sure to repeat the "Hold and Touch" on your Desktop.  Does the context menu come up consistently after say, 10 times of doing it?  I get a sporadic flicker as it tries to form the shadow box.  I think this is related to my Silverlight issues as well.  A friend of mine said he's having problems with touch and Flash also.

Michael

Friday, March 2, 2012 4:17 PM
  • My colleagues and I (5 Samsung BUILD Developer Slates between us) have found the following so far:

The web install found at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download seems to be the easiest and quickest method of updating the slate with everything working. It downloads the appropriate version and installs with very little hassle. The downside is that it leaves your slate with junk files that you cannot easily remove. For instance, it saves your old Windows directory as Windows.old and it takes up more than 10GB of space. So, instead of say having about 39GB free after the install you'll have something like 20GB free.

Given that we all like "clean" installs, we will be trying the other technique of running the install off a USB key that has the ISO loaded up using this (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool) method and then wiping out the main partition in the process. We'll try to take photos and document the process.

Friday, March 2, 2012 5:47 PM
  • that would be appreciated.   I used disk cleanup after the web install and chose to remove old windows install files which got rid of the window.old directory for me.

After several failed attempts to install via DVD, the web install worked well and the tablet is working flawlessly (except for not the smoothest video playback using itunes).

Just installed office 2010 so i can get word/excel/pp downloads to open and - so far so good.

Travelguy

Friday, March 2, 2012 6:46 PM
  • I had the same issue and had to re-boot again

Friday, March 2, 2012 10:19 PM
  • re :I did the web install last night and still have issues with the "touch and hold" to right click as well as buttons in Silverlight.

yes try touch and hold in metro in many places and its real intermittent. want to delete a metro app like the live box rubbish, try right click and hold its suppsoed to bring up teh bottom menu - if you used a mouse right cligk jsut brings the bottom bar immeditately but not the touch right click.

also try opening a folder of pictures on a usb device  click on one picture and up comes a view - but you cant do anythign no left no right jsut zoon - and its not obvious how to exit. ( you have to swwipe in from teh LHS) so not liek teh old photo viewer. if you choose a slide show - A) you cant just control next slide when youwant - B its compeltely slow comapred to an IPAD, 1-2 seconds per photo (when you tap to move next) - and you cant zoom any photo

this release sucks - I wish I had the build conference version back. 

Friday, March 2, 2012 10:23 PM
  • Not sure I'd recommend using the bootable USB/ISO approach.  That has bricked my BUILD slate.  It never got passed the installing devices 100% screen after 2 hours.  Now when it reboots I can no longer bring up the UEFI screen by holding the Windows button on startup.  So it is stuck in a loop where it restarts, errors with "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.  Windows installation cannot proceed.  To install Windows, click "OK"to restart the computer, and then restart the installation".   Now I can't get to the Advanced Boot options in order to start the USB installation again.  And since this was a "clean" install (removed all the partitions) I think I'm hosed.  Any suggestions on how to un-brick this system? 
    Saturday, March 3, 2012 12:02 AM
  • How is the fan noise with consumer preview?
    Saturday, March 3, 2012 1:32 AM
  • I downloaded the motion sensor driver from Samsung 700T support page to satisfy the unknown device in Device Manager.  It installed successfully with Windows 7 compatibility settings.  Then it takes a reboot to make it active, and finally you have to go into the orientation settings and check the box for allowing the orientation to automatically change (this option only appears after the driver install and reboot).

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the push button reset (holding the Windows button at power-on) working again as it did prior to installing the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

I keep trying the samsung drivers and it never works.  Worked on the consumer preview...
    Saturday, March 3, 2012 10:29 PM

Technology Applied

Hi Kirkaiya,

I've used the web install and cannot get to see the push button partition. How are you doing it?<o:p></o:p>

Does a non-web install also ignore the push button reset partition?<o:p></o:p>

Hi cosimoss,

to "see" the Push button reset partition:

open CMD as administrator then type:

Diskpart
    list volume
    select volume N (N is the number of the volume called push button reset with 5000MB of space)
    assign

now you can see the push button reset partition, (don't close diskpart) follow my instruction above to "update" the installation files.
    when everything is done go back to diskpart and enter:

remove

exit

exit

to hide the push button reset partition again

====

If you want to move the recovery enviroment Back into the recovery partition follow those steps:

Enter the BIOS By holding the "Volume UP" + "Volume down" buttons, go into advanced configuration and disable "Secure Boot". Save and reset the device.

Run CMD as Administrator and enter:

reagentc /disable

diskpart

select disk 0

list partition

select partition X (X is the number of the 400MB partition, usually n°1)

set id= de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac

format fs= NTFS quick

assign (it would give a letter [Y] to the recovery partition)

exit

Mkdir Y:\Recovery

Robocopy c:\Windows\System32\Recovery y:\Recovery

reagentc /setreimage /path Y:\Recovery\

reagentc /enable

diskpart

select disk 0

select partition N

remove

exit

exit

now you can delete the C:\Recovery Folder
    You still can't boot into the "blue menu" (WinRE) by holding the Home Button (Windows Flag) I still don't understand Why, I've already tried to apply the code below but still don't working

reagentc /setreimage /path Y:\Recovery\ /Bootkey 4700
    now you can enable "Secure Boot"
    • Edited by Tofan Sunday, March 4, 2012 10:56 PM
    Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:54 PM
  • I downloaded the Windows 8 Consumer Preview English Free Build from https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/Downloads (the download site linked from the BUILD site).

I prepared a 4 GB USB stick with FAT32 and MBR, mounted the downloaded Windows 8 .iso on the tablet (which was still running the W8 dev preview)  and xcopied everything down to the stick.

I disabled the BIOS secure boot and rebooted the tablet with the VOL+ key pressed. It booted to the Windows 8 Setup on the stick from which I did a clean install. I used the actual tablet USB port - not the docking station one.

Following the install a couple of devices were unknown but Windows Update sorted drivers for these and everything now seems to be running smoothly.

I still need to sort out the Recovery partition and the ESD partion and the push-button reset partitions once I have worked out what they are all for and what needs to go where. An easily understood guide to what these partitions do, when they are used and for what would be nice :)

Monday, March 5, 2012 4:18 PM
  • I still need to sort out the Recovery partition and the ESD partion and the push-button reset partitions once I have worked out what they are all for and what needs to go where. An easily understood guide to what these partitions do, when they are used and for what would be nice :)

read two posts above to understand how to fix the push button reset partition (stores the Windows image) and the recovery partition (files to allow restore/refresh and many other tools), the ESP partition contains the UEFI Bootloader (don't delete it!!!).

If you don't want to fix them, you can delete the "Recovery" and "Push button reset" partitions

• Edited by Tofan Monday, March 5, 2012 11:50 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 5:34 PM
  • Our ESD partition was deleted, can anyone explain how to get it back?
    Monday, March 5, 2012 7:10 PM
  • Our ESD partition was deleted, can anyone explain how to get it back?

to check if the ESP partition is still there run CMD as administrator and type:

Diskpart
    Select disk 0
    List volume

if it returns something like

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
    ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
    Volume 0         Push Button  NTFS   Partition   5100 MB  Healthy
    Volume 1     C                NTFS   Partition     54 GB  Healthy    Boot
    Volume 2         Recovery     NTFS   Partition    400 MB  Healthy    Hidden
    Volume 3         ESP          FAT32  Partition    100 MB  Healthy    System

then the ESP partition is still there, if it's not then type

Create partition EFI
    Format fs=ntfs label=ESP quick
    List partition
    Select partition N (N is the number of the ESP partition)
    Assign
    Bcdboot c:\Windows /s X: (X is the letter assigned To the ESP Partition)
    Diskpart
    Select disk 0
    Select partition N
    Remote
    Exit
    Exit

• Edited by Tofan Monday, March 5, 2012 11:49 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 11:41 PM
  • I still need to sort out the Recovery partition and the ESD partion and the push-button reset partitions once I have worked out what they are all for and what needs to go where. An easily understood guide to what these partitions do, when they are used and for what would be nice :)

read two posts above to understand how to fix the push button reset partition (stores the Windows image) and the recovery partition (files to allow restore/refresh and many other tools), the ESP partition contains the UEFI Bootloader (don't delete it!!!).

If you don't want to fix them, you can delete the "Recovery" and "Push button reset" partitions

On my system W8 CP created a "C:\RefreshImage" folder, in this is an "install.wim" file which I assume is the installation image which I should copy to the push-button reset partition. There is a big problem though in that the new "install.wim" is 6156931 KB and the original push-button reset partition is only 5100 MB (5347733 KB), hence it will not fit. I guess I need to use some disk partition software to expand the partition or is there some way of reducing the size of the new "install.wim"?

W8 CP is presumably currently set-up to use the C:\RefreshImage folder for push-button reset. I would have to change this too. 

I have a C:\Windows\System32\Recovery folder but all it contains is a file called "ReAgent.xml" so I assume that the Win8 CP install discovered (and updated) my recovery partition already - how could I check?

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:24 AM
  • I installed the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on the Samsung Build slate and now I'm missing three drivers

- Globetrotter HSUPA Modem

- SM Bus Controller

- Unknown device

Especially I need the drivers for the NFC / proximity sensor as I have to develop a Metro app which uses NFC features. The sample app (Proximity sample) does not recognize a proximity sensor. Has anyone figured out where to download or how to install the missing drivers?

Thanks.

Rico

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:57 PM
  • I downloaded the motion sensor driver from Samsung 700T support page to satisfy the unknown device in Device Manager.  It installed successfully with Windows 7 compatibility settings.  Then it takes a reboot to make it active, and finally you have to go into the orientation settings and check the box for allowing the orientation to automatically change (this option only appears after the driver install and reboot).

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the push button reset (holding the Windows button at power-on) working again as it did prior to installing the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

I keep trying the samsung drivers and it never works.  Worked on the consumer preview...

I think you mean it worked on the Developer Preview.  Not sure why it isn't working for you on the Consumer Preview.

Lol Yep, meant dev preview. You're actually one of the few that I have seen getting the drivers to work. They seem to install but still show up as bad in device manager. When ever I try reinstalling it says it is waiting for a reboot.  
    • Edited by tanders04 Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:12 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:08 PM
  • I installed the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on the Samsung Build slate and now I'm missing three drivers

- Globetrotter HSUPA Modem

- SM Bus Controller

- Unknown device

Especially I need the drivers for the NFC / proximity sensor as I have to develop a Metro app which uses NFC features. The sample app (Proximity sample) does not recognize a proximity sensor. Has anyone figured out where to download or how to install the missing drivers?

Thanks.

Rico

The SM Bus is available at the Samsung site. I've gotten that to work but the unknown device (Accelerometer) I cant get to work still.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:11 PM
  • @numero

We also ran into this issue with multiple systems.

One thing that appears to work (we have not yet tested it overnight):

• Boot from WinPE media
    • Open an command prompt and execute BCDEdit (no options, it will just list the boot cfg data)
    • Close the command promot and restart the system

No idea yet why this works, unless it is just causing BCD to evaluate the boot data to "remind itself"

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:08 PM
  • Has anyone managed to download the latest firmware update for Windows 8 Consumer Preview using the BIOSUpdate.exe file? I'm following the document "Using the Samsung Series 7 Slate Windows 8 Consumer Preview" listed on the Samsung Consumer Preview site (http://www.samsung.com/global/windowspreview/), but the BIOSUpdate.exe fails to actually download the update with the error message: "Cannot download", even when running in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7 as Administrator.

Thanks,

Derek.

Monday, April 2, 2012 7:19 AM
  • Appears to me that those instructions ONLY apply to the commerically available Series-7 slate PCs. They do not apply to the BUILD slate version.
    Monday, April 2, 2012 8:34 AM
  • Ah! Good point. No wonder it didn't work :) Thanks.

Monday, April 2, 2012 8:42 AM
  • I just finished installing Windows 8 consumer previews on my Samsung Slate and it was super easy.

1. Updated the firmware

2. Downloaded 8 consumer preview iso

3. Downloaded the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool. from http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

4. Installed Tool

5. Ran tool and pointed it to the Windows 8 iso and it built a me a bootable USB key

6.  Then I booted up the Slate with the USB key inserted and installed Windows .

• Proposed as answer by tkopischke Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:19 PM
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 9:00 PM
  • The crash-when-docking problem is caused by static electricity. Briefly touch your fingers to the metal back of the Slate and the metal case of the dock before docking the slate. The problem should go away.

Best regards,

.         png

Thursday, June 7, 2012 4:15 PM