distributing commercial software via USB stick RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a small software firm and we're looking for a secure way to distribute software on a USB stick.  By secure I mean reasonably copy-proof (the cost of making a working copy should be high).  While we were expecting to find vendors that sell some sort of combined storage and dongle on a USB stick, we really haven't found appropriate ones. 

(The goal here is to allow software to run without standard installation -- even without elevated privilege.)

Any suggestions of how to start the search?
    Friday, August 20, 2010 4:28 PM

All replies

• What exactly problem are you facing - is it lack of flash+USB token devices? Aladdin offers such devices. The problem is that you would need to install a driver in order to get access to the USB token part. And this is probably not possible. Even if you carry PKCS#11 DLL for the USB token with your application, you still need a USB device driver in order for PKCS#11 DLL to get access to the hardware. Unfortunately I don't know (and we worked with lots of USB token devices) any USB token that would not require drivers.

Another option would be to check flash memory's serial number and use it as part of the encryption key. However, I didn't see a uniform way to get this number out of the flash disk. I'd be interested in finding it too.

Friday, August 20, 2010 8:08 PM