Background Tasks - Windows 8 desktop app signal Windows 8 Store App

Question

• Trying to understand if there are any background tasks events that can help with communication between a Windows 8 desktop app or service with a store app running on the same system.

The easiest would have been a background task that listens for a global event to be signaled.  Then a the Windows service or desktop app could signal event with SetEvent ( "Global\MyEvent{GUID}" )  and then the store app would wake-up and start running?

Any Thoughts?

Friday, December 19, 2014 3:44 PM

Answers

• What is the scenario?Is this for a side loaded app or one distributed through the store?

Windows Store apps cannot communicate directly with other apps whether they be store apps or desktop apps. An apps background tasks run in the same context as the app with the same restrictions.

There are ways to bypass this for side loaded apps.

Friday, December 19, 2014 4:06 PM
    Owner

All replies

• What is the scenario?Is this for a side loaded app or one distributed through the store?

Windows Store apps cannot communicate directly with other apps whether they be store apps or desktop apps. An apps background tasks run in the same context as the app with the same restrictions.

There are ways to bypass this for side loaded apps.

Friday, December 19, 2014 4:06 PM
    Owner
  • Do you mean launc store apps  form desktop application ?

There are two ways can do this:

(1) by uri associate

(2) by implement IApplicationActivationManager , https://github.com/doo/metro-driver

在現實生活中,你和誰在一起的確很重要,甚至能改變你的成長軌跡,決定你的人生成敗。 和什麼樣的人在一起,就會有什麼樣的人生。 和勤奮的人在一起,你不會懶惰; 和積極的人在一起,你不會消沈; 與智者同行,你會不同凡響; 與高人為伍,你能登上巔峰。

Saturday, December 20, 2014 6:26 AM

• What I was trying to accomplish was create a virtual file printer which when you sent a document to the printer would bring up an annotation tool to make further changes or append further information and then save changes.

Problem one is you can not tell if a store app sent the document or a desktop app sent the document.

If a desktop app, we would launch the desktop version of the annotator tool.

If a store app, we would want the store version of the annotator tool.

Still even if you could launch a store app or wake-up a store app through some background task, there is no way for it to access the created document(s) as the v4 Print-to-File solution lacks the necessary file picking and/or folder picking contracts to make it work properly.

The best you can achieve is a message charm which users have to click to start a Device Apps for Printers or open app associated with file extension.  But this charm fades away if you do not act quickly so I can not see this as a good solution for any user.  I am missing something about message charms?

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 5:14 PM
  • I meant to say Toast Notification and not message charm.  Still only shows for 7 seconds.

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 6:01 PM
  • I don't believe there is any way to tell who called the driver like that, but you may want to ask in the driver development forums.
    Saturday, January 10, 2015 2:09 AM
    Owner