asp.net core with microservices RRS feed

• Question

• User1879907140 posted

I'd like to create a web app using .NET Core and Microservices and either use SQL or MongoDB as the datastore. Is something like this doable? Are there any good complete tutorials out there on something like this, or do I have to find separate tutorials on each and then put them together? I want the app do to CRUB operations with security and host on IIS.

(I have a lot of time on my hands and looking to learn something new)

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 5:31 PM

All replies

• User-474980206 posted

Yes its doable. While micro services originally meant single focus website, typically this now refers cloud hosted functions, like azure server functions, AWS lambdas or docker hosted web services. You can easliy code these in .net core. 

if you don't have an azure or AWS account, you should look at this first. If you can not do one, you can host azure server functions locally in a docker image. I believe AWS has the same support for lambda functions.

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 5:59 PM
  • User1879907140 posted

I have an AWS account, however, I'm looking to do this on IIS due to I'm converting an existing web application from an older version of .NET to "the new world" and we're not in the cloud yet.

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 6:01 PM
  • User1034446946 posted

Ms has a pretty good example of micro service setup:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/architecture/microservices/multi-container-microservice-net-applications/data-driven-crud-microservice

although Azure functions can have some limitations, some libraries are not supported and gRPC is not supported

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 7:45 PM