none
Fail to open Journal application by pressing the "Journal" button RRS feed

• Question

• To clarify my question, I better give more details about my machine and environment.

Recently, I have tried to write a tablet button driver for both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista. For better stability, I chose the lastest builds for testing from build 5520 to RC1(5600). In each 32-bit build, the digitizer driver is installed and the journal button works fine. However, this doesn't apply to each 64-bit build although the digitizer driver is not installed yet,
    in fact, it's not available right now.

Firstly, I don't really think the journal button would need a digitizer to function. Therefore, I then tried to change the button settings, changing the path to another application, ie notepad.exe, for the journal button in button tab of the "Tablet PC Settings". yes, it's still not doing anything after you press it.

Well, I then changed the settings again but the "press" action this time, from "start a program" to "open e-mail".
    Interestingly, the journal button works and it opens the system default email application.

Does anyone have any idea about this? Why 64-bit builds can't open any applications by users defined? Really hope I could get any help here.

David.

Friday, September 8, 2006 12:45 PM

Answers

• Hi David:

You'll need to contact your hardware manufacturer to get the 64-bit drivers for your Tablet. Whether they implement functionally in the digitizer driver or a separate button driver is up to them. Windows Vista is still in Beta, so the drivers may not be very stable yet.

Thanks,

- Mark Hopkins - MSFT

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi David:

You'll need to contact your hardware manufacturer to get the 64-bit drivers for your Tablet. Whether they implement functionally in the digitizer driver or a separate button driver is up to them. Windows Vista is still in Beta, so the drivers may not be very stable yet.

Thanks,

- Mark Hopkins - MSFT

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:19 PM
  • Hi, Mark,

Actually my company is a hardware manufacturer and I am the one who responsible for porting XP drivers to Vista.

To the point, I have already responsed this issue to MS and they solved it at 5734 build. Still I will trace it in the later build and there is a new one 5739 that I haven't tested yet. Just for your info.

regard,

David.

Thursday, October 5, 2006 9:02 AM