Inspiron DVD drive not recognised RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a Dell 6000 Inspiron which had to be re configured from the partioned hard drive, everything seemed to go ok. XP SP2 loaded but when I tried to load Office the disc drive could not read the DVD. Soon worked out the DVD RW drive is only being seen as a CD ROM drive which is working fine.

Tried to update drivers, been the Dell website, uninstalled and reinstalled drive, spoek at great length and cost to Dell support but got no where. It appears to be a software problem but have run out of ideas, Can anyone help please?

Banditman

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 7:37 AM

Answers

• Guys,

This forum for developers only.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 11:27 PM

All replies

• Am I correct in my assumption that you installed XP SP2 using a CD and not a DVD?

It is possible for the drive to fail so that it can read CDs but not DVDs (or the other way around).  If you have access to another Dell notebook that uses the same type of optical drive (Inspiron 6000, 6400, or E1505, Latitude D600 or D800 series all uses the same D-Module drives) then you can swap drives to see if that resolves the problem.  If it does, then all you need to do is replace your optical drive (easily done through tech support if the system is still in warranty).

If a known good optical drive has the same problem then there is either something wrong with the motherboard, or with Windows.

If you have questions about this information, or the system in general, I'll be happy to answer them.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Guys,

This forum for developers only.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 11:27 PM