none
Converting to VB RRS feed

• Question

• hi!

i just converted my meteorite project to VB. but when i open it in VB, it tells me there are functions, it doesnt know. like "graphicswindow" or "shapes"...

what do i have to do against that? code it differently for VB? cuz i dont know much about VB, but i want to see how fast my projects run in it...
    Live for nothing, OR CODE FOR SOMETHING!
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:22 PM

Answers

• A couple of my tests seemed to run faster in VB, but some others not (perhaps this was an illusion to me).  Since the VB is still calling the SmallBasicLibrary.dll for much of the code I don't actually see why it should be faster so perhaps this is not true.

However, if you convert some of the mathematical or array manipulations to native VB and only use the SmallBasic calls to do the graphics you will see speedups.  In the longer run, you will be able to also convert the graphics and all other SmallBasic functionality and also do more, which will be faster and more powerful.

Using reflector originally mentioned on this forum by Fremy (google it) you will be able to see how SmallBasic does the graphics etc by analysing SmalBasicLibrary.dll in reflector - shows the methods and code behind much of SmallBasic.

This is why the conversion to VB is such a good idea - it helps the step by step learning giving more power and flexibility in a way that is very progressive without sudden steep learning curves.  The debugging - stepping through code interactively is also a very useful feature of VB.
    • Marked as answer by Dudeson Monday, October 26, 2009 7:15 PM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:16 PM

All replies

• Somehow you lost the reference to SmallBasicLibrary.dll

Right click on Project and say Properties. 
    Click on the References tab and say "Add"
    Now, navigate to the Small Basic install directory (usually, c:\program files\microsoft\small basic")
    And pick SmallBasicLibrary.dll and hit OK

This should fix the problem.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:26 PM
  • yeah, thx!

i figured it out already^^

but shouldnt the projects run faster in VB? thats what litdev told me..

or do i have to fully compile it? or is that all, when i press the green play button?

Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:40 PM
  • A couple of my tests seemed to run faster in VB, but some others not (perhaps this was an illusion to me).  Since the VB is still calling the SmallBasicLibrary.dll for much of the code I don't actually see why it should be faster so perhaps this is not true.

However, if you convert some of the mathematical or array manipulations to native VB and only use the SmallBasic calls to do the graphics you will see speedups.  In the longer run, you will be able to also convert the graphics and all other SmallBasic functionality and also do more, which will be faster and more powerful.

Using reflector originally mentioned on this forum by Fremy (google it) you will be able to see how SmallBasic does the graphics etc by analysing SmalBasicLibrary.dll in reflector - shows the methods and code behind much of SmallBasic.

This is why the conversion to VB is such a good idea - it helps the step by step learning giving more power and flexibility in a way that is very progressive without sudden steep learning curves.  The debugging - stepping through code interactively is also a very useful feature of VB.
    • Marked as answer by Dudeson Monday, October 26, 2009 7:15 PM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:16 PM
  • Looks like this might be a problem with 64bit computers.
    Because SmalBasic installs under Program Files (x86), and VB does too.
    So its looking in the wrong File Path?
    Idk, just a thought.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:15 PM
  • i fixed it already, dont worry^^
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:46 PM