Rename team project in TFS 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• It was not possible to rename in TFS2005, or TFS2008, but that about 2010?
    Monday, April 26, 2010 2:01 PM

Answers

• Hi SteinM,

Unfortunately you cannot rename a team project once it is created. Because renaming a team project will make lot of updates in the database. And you will loose your history as soon when you branch your source code: the new branch does not contain the history of the folder you branched from.

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry, renaming a team project feature is not available in TFS2010 either.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Why is this feature Rocket Science? Shouldn't it at least be an unofficial hack to do it directly in the database? The name can't be stored in that many places?

The reason we want to change it, is because all queries show the name, and because we chose quite a long name, it clutters the columns with unneeded data.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Hi SteinM,

Unfortunately you cannot rename a team project once it is created. Because renaming a team project will make lot of updates in the database. And you will loose your history as soon when you branch your source code: the new branch does not contain the history of the folder you branched from.

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:16 AM
  • Ok. But is there at least some way of hiding\truncating the team project name in queries and when shown in fields?
    Friday, April 30, 2010 9:06 AM
  • I agree with SteinM and I also understand that renaming Team Projects is not so easy to implement considering that you also have to rename the site in WSS, it also affects reports, ... nevertheless this is the 3rd release of Team Foundation Server and it is still not possible to rename a Team Project nor is it possible to bulk copy work items from one Team Project to another which would basically also solve the problem.
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Absurd!
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:25 PM
  • Understandably not easy but pretty critical for developers and companies - if you want it, let MS know here https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/554539/cant-rename-a-team-project-in-tfs-2010
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Cathy -- so what is the workaround when someone, who didn't realize a MS product would break its own rules regarding allowing for names with spaces in it, created the team project name with spaces in it, which breaks xcopy, which is needed throughout TFS to configure builds properly?  I don't want to have to generate my entire project from scratch just so I can xcopy from the build path.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Yes, I agree that it's redonkulous you can't do this.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Hello,

I think this feature is very useful and a scenario like this may occur more often than one can imagine. Even we are stuck in our project because of this. Since you've mentioned database changes I am curious, if we are not interested in changing the Guid / primary key of the project record, and just interested in changing the name / description, why should it cause massive modifications?

Cheers,

Rishikesh

Monday, November 7, 2011 4:12 AM
  • I just added my "yes" vote to the Microsoft connection page. It lists the matter as "Postponed".

(In our case we were not familiar with SharePoint or TFS so we created a project name with spaces in its name. We soon found out that that was not a wise move..... and we have the same-named project to this very day. Yes, MS needs to create some more TFS Admin friendly tools. I would even suggest that their TFS 2010 Admin console should let one create a TFS Project\SharePoint site just like Team Explorer does...)

Barkingdog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Can I add my vote atleast for those of us who are not using reporting services or sharepoint where I can see issues.  If nothing else surely there's a work around even if its an all nighter!
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Understandably not easy but pretty critical for developers and companies - if you want it, let MS know here https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/554539/cant-rename-a-team-project-in-tfs-2010
    That link does not work for me. =(

~ Mike Christian

Monday, September 17, 2012 5:22 PM
  • Didn't work for me either so I submitted a suggestion.  I am surprised this isn't getting higher priority it's not like MS have never re-branded a product surely they must realise the amount of aggravation this is causing in some companies.
    Monday, September 24, 2012 11:03 AM
  • Didn't work for me either so I submitted a suggestion.  I am surprised this isn't getting higher priority it's not like MS have never re-branded a product surely they must realise the amount of aggravation this is causing in some companies.
    That, and the whole ordeal about losing revision history whenever you do anything but branch.  History is very important, to many dev teams.  I understand that TFS has been maturing with each release, but this losing history is a big annoyance that I have seen drive away or deterred several developers and companies.

~ Mike Christian

Monday, September 24, 2012 3:41 PM
  • It could be done with a project alias property.
    Monday, September 24, 2012 11:49 PM
  • The best approach (not really a workaround) we found is to create a new Team Project and select the option "Create a new source control branch". Doing that you keep the sources history.

But then, you have to redo a lot of config: Set the Security & Group Membership according to your needs, recreate the areas and iterations, recreate the Build Definitions, the Reports, customize your portal ...

Next, you have to copy the Work Items from the original Team Project into the new one. You can use the TFS Integration Platform for that purpose: http://tfsintegration.codeplex.com

Copy also your custom Team Queries (Drag & Drop between Team Projects) and update them to query the new Team Project...

Finally, you have to copy all your documents, if any, from the original Team Project's SharePoint Portal to the new one.

And most probably I am still forgetting steps... But we did it like that in the past on simple Team Projects (without SharePoint portal, custom Reports and complex security settings). The most important was the keep sources history and the Work Items. 

Valéry Letroye

Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:31 AM
  • Tim, could you provide some detail around this? I did a search for project alias property, but nothing came back that actually provided any guidance. Thanks.
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 4:14 PM
  • It was a suggestion that Microsoft could implement the ability to "rename"a team project by implementing a project alias property (Display Name) like they do in active directory and numerous other MS products. To my knowledge it does not exist.

"You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek." - Blind Seer, O Brother Where Art Thou
    Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others may find the fortune they seek.

Friday, June 7, 2013 3:30 PM